1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science club ideas!

Discussion in 'Science' started by Laurakitty, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Hi all, I'm going to be running a science club next year; as a biologist I'm wondering if anyone has any good biology-based activities to do in a 20-30 mins slot. Currently i'm thinking of growing sunflowers, making bird/animal feeders, hatching sea-monkeys. Also, it needs to be stuff I don't normally do in lessons.

Many thanks.

2. 1) Our local dentist gives me old teeth that he has extracted (about once a year if I ask him nicley) & I have used them to demonstrate mass lost whe left in cola. You have to weigh them on VERY sensitive scales & make sure they are completely dry at the end of the experiment. It can take several weeks to lose a decent % of mass!
    2) Dissecting stuff always goes down well: daffodils, sheeps eyes, hearts, chicken wings.....
    3) Finding stuff out like the ratio of body size or longevity to gestation period for mammals ..... and then plotting a graph of the data.
    4) letting a plant (or certain of its leaves) grow in light of specific wavelengths / colours to see which wavelengths are actually used / needed. The physics dept could give you some filters and UV light sources.
    5) Using an IR camera to determine how heat is distributed over the surface area of live objects - people, plants, small animals ...... You would need to explain what the camera detects before using it with pupils. I know someone who used IR images to detect copper toxicity in plants in southern Africa and accidentally discovered a copper mine as a result! (the plants that were toxic were growing on copper deposits).
    ... can't think of any more for the moment....

3. Thanks for these suggestions!

Any other ideas appreciated! [​IMG]

4. How have you got the time these days to run a science club? I used to run lots of clubs but the demands of the job are so ridiculous now that just teaching and all its accompanying marking, planning etc are enough without offering anything else.

5. Just had another idea ..... posted it elsewhere as well but here goes:
    * make models of stuff - insects, digestive system, blood cells, plant cells, bridges etc etc.
    Pupils get to understand the structure of something when they have to make a model and, even better, they get something to take home! They can probably even supply most of the raw material from home (egg boxes, pipe cleaners, pictures of insects - or whatever you decide you need)

6. I have ran science club this year and found lots of experiments in the Royal society of chemistry resources, I will get back to you with the proper name as it is in school, unfortunately I am nipping in at some point next week :)
    I did activities like:
    Making slime, fire writing, making plastic out of milk, making DNA out of sweets, hot air balloons, forensics.
    I was lucky as i ran two clubs alternate weeks, which halved the numbert of activities needed, downside they liked it that much that I think they want to carry on in Year 8 i think this will be an investigation type activity though.

7. I am also selling a couple of books that I have got a couple of things out of if anyone is interested.

8. Hi there,
    Have you checked if your school or Science department has any packs for the Opal Soil and Earthworth Survey. If you have then you can use the packs and get the kids to do the survey researching about different earthworths in the school yard and soil pH. If you haven't got one then you can download the survey from this site http://www.opalexplorenature.org/?q=takingpart
    If the club is for 20-30 minutes then this activity will use 2-3 sessions to complete the whole survey.
    JM