1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science (Chemistry) teaching in Edinburgh

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by hareonskis, Jul 6, 2019.

1. hareonskis

hareonskis New commenter

I'm an experienced teacher in the North of England, planning a move to Edinburgh in the next year or so.
    My GTCS registration is currently being processed and I think I could do a decent job of an interview. But my only knowledge of the Scottish school system is through internet research and children of friends who live in Scotland.

Would it be seen as weird and/or a massive ask to approach science departments in a couple of schools and ask to visit for a day (or half a day) to get a feel for how systems, curriculum, culture etc differ from what I'm used to?

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

You could email schools directly or contact the relevant education authority for suggestions as to which schools to email. Schools happy for you to visit will get back to you to arrange a date.

Most Scottish schools have already started their summer holidays and the rest are about to do so very shortly.

When the time comes for you to start looking for jobs in Scotland, they'll be listed on:
    https://www.myjobscotland.gov.uk

3. hareonskis

hareonskis New commenter

Thanks so much bonxie! I have a couple of schools in mind, but I'll contact the council to see if they have suggestions.

4. hareonskis

hareonskis New commenter

I have another question if anyone is feeling n England, teaching job adverts usually have a job start date on them, and it's almost always the start of a term - September, January or Easter - because we are contracted to give notice by half-term of the term we want to finish. Most teaching jobs I have seen on myjobscotland don't have start dates that I can see. Am I missing something, or are contracts different in Scotland?

5. alendra

alendra New commenter

Contracts are different in Scotland. For unpromoted posts, it's usually a four week notice period (excluding holidays).

6. hareonskis

hareonskis New commenter

Hey, thank you alendra. Sorry I didn't reply earlier - didn't see a notification for your reply.

That's really quite different. In England the notice deadline if you want to start a new job in September is in May, and as schools put on pressure to let them know MUCH earlier it can lead to real difficulty in moving to a job outside the English (and Welsh I guess) school system.

Thanks again. I might need to change my approach in the light of this.