1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science BTEC marking & progress chasing

Discussion in 'Science' started by sac2kmw, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Hiya,

I am a KS4 coordinator and have 2 classes on btec myself as well as organising everyone else total next year of 220 learners in y10 & y11.

My advice is to train them early hand in assignments regularly with swift and firm consequences for those who don't.

Have a completion chart on the wall and keep it up to date.

I have regular catch up lessons where a treat is with held until all students are up together ( find this helps with collabaration)

Give very brief but to the point feedback e.g. Describe how DNA actually decides what goes in a cell

Give a lot of verbal feedback

Spend 30% of my time teaching and the rest "facilitating" them to a pass grade

Hope something here helps

Ps. Feel giving an nqt 3 btec classes is an awful lot, I try not to saddle teacher who are experienced at marking fast more than 2 classes instead balance them with gcse classes

2. Boo, it didn.t keep any of my formatting

3. I invest a bit of time at the end of each lesson trying to get the slower learners up to speed so that a few more assignments are really well finished! This could mean putting a list of points that should be included on the board and asking them to check they have covered them. It does mean that a student who is less than half-way through can in the last 10 - 15 minutes finish off an assignment. Usually once they realise what they have to get through they get a faster friend to help them using my guidelines. It means when I quickly mark after the lesson more students than otherwise are up-to-date. It isn't full proof but has made life quite a bit easier.

4. Why?

Pupil is failing to make progress because they are behind in task

Pupil comes in at lunch and gets extra support until caught up.

Pupil refuses to come in, Year office picks them up and deposits them in room to do it.

This is not in super nice lovely school - School in special measures but with staff supporting each other.

Other key bit is proper long term planning - ensuring the majority of students have enough time to finish the work, if most are not keeping up to date its either poor planning or implementation. You need to have good long term - ideally whole year - planning of where you should be and how to get there. These need to be kept up to date and not just put in at the start or classes that start to slip will rapidly spiral until recovery becomes a major stress episode. Easier to intervene early and effectively than late and having to do more.

5. Modify the way you give feedback, we have modified the assignment sheet to give a small space for feedback, you could try marking labels with common phrases on, it still counts! we also modified the sheets so the pupils could virtually mark themselves!
    Use a tracking sheet and have it on the board, the kids loved it as motivation, leave serial offenders let someone else pick them up or drag them in for a whole day.
    chill out, set yourself reasonable targets and set aside time to do the marking, it does get easier!

6. Hi
    Having taught BTEC for the first time this year, and been lead IV for my school, can I suggest the following - forgive me if you already know this: Planning is key to success. Before issuing an assignment, teach the basics of the subject (I know this seems obvious). When issuing the assignment set the deadline when you want it in (use whatever sanctions your school employs for late delivery of work). It is easier to mark a set of assignments at once - than to mark in dribs and drabs. When marking indicate the point on the script where the Pass (or Merit) criteria are met (just as you would when marking GCSE coursework). I only had a very small group, but several of my colleagues, with larger groups have used one sheet to record all feedback for students; the students then look at this to progress.
    I would also suggest trying to get the students involved in some basic peer assessment - pre-flight checks I call them - where they have to ensure that simple things have been done - like putting units on graphs and in tables,and that all task sheets etc are handed in.
    Having a tick sheet on the wall - Edexcel has these you can print off and add students names to - to show progress does help (even the lowest ability/least motivated of our students became competitive towards the end)
    Don't allow completed work out of your sight - I would get students to sign out abything they are taking home - try and ensure that they start tasks at home if possible rather than risk losing a lot of effort.
    Perhaps have a catch up week at the end of each half term where any additions/amends are made ----
    The first 3 modules are very similar in content to GCSE science and so most text books should have plenty of resource, but as you progress you will need to invest time in researching the resource (unless you have BTEC textbooks). We didn't buy textbooks for studants and so time was needed to look up where the topics were covered - including pre-selecting some good websites.
    HTH

7. I couldn't agree more with your advice. I too have been teaching BTEC for the first time this year and have just completed my NQT year. I have 3 BTEC classes, a Level 3, and two level 2 BTEC (one of which is the diploma course). I have learnt over the year to produce a tick/feedback sheet for the students to allow them to get quick feedback on their work.
    I have produced this after an idea given by a colleague. The tick sheet has 4 columns, task/brief number, brief outline of the task, done and space for feedback. I use these religously now, along with an electronic spreadsheet when marking all work, which when doing catchup lessons has to be done in class immediately so the students know where they need to go to next. I too am a lead IV and I agree with HTH that annotating the work with the grade on the work is a must. As well as it being good practice, it is also excellent to help you track students work when going back to it. I also back up HTH with regards to not letting the work out of your sight. Once I have marked the work, all students work goes into a plastic wallet and then into a unit specific lever arch file. One thing I have learnt is that organisation and tracking is the key to BTEC!!

SJ

8. Thank you to eveyone who added some advise to this question, I'll be changing things for this coming term :)

9. saratron

saratron New commenter

I teach Level 3 BTEC. I have done so for the past 2 school years.

I really think that teacher who teach BTEC (100% coursework) should have some extra time put into their timetable to mark and verify and moderate etc...

What are the Unions' opinions on this? I calculated that I spent 7 days of my own time (thats 7 x 24 hours!) marking Level 3 BTEC coursework last year.