1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science based work experience?

Discussion in 'Science' started by figgins, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Hello, I'm sneaking over here from English with a query for you, I hope you don't mind... my daughter has to organise her own work experience. She likes, and is predicted good grades in, Physics, Chemistry and Geography. There is a geophysicists near to us, but the place there has gone. We live in a rural area with very little in the way of industry etc. Can anyone suggest the sort of organisations she should be looking for as she trawls through the yellow pages.

Many thanks for any advice you could give, F.

2. Hello, I'm sneaking over here from English with a query for you, I hope you don't mind... my daughter has to organise her own work experience. She likes, and is predicted good grades in, Physics, Chemistry and Geography. There is a geophysicists near to us, but the place there has gone. We live in a rural area with very little in the way of industry etc. Can anyone suggest the sort of organisations she should be looking for as she trawls through the yellow pages.

Many thanks for any advice you could give, F.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You may find it hard given the H&S requirements of lab work. Would the school lab techs take her on for a few days?

4. We hadn't thought of that, but I think she's supposed to go elsewhere. I wonder if she could go to another school? Thanks for the idea.

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Any nature reserves / country parks where environmental management is taking place?
    TV installers use bit of physics, although the up ladders bit probably rules out W/Ex.
    Finding stimulating work experience can be tricky - it was hard work for Phlogistette.
    Good luck,
    P