1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science Assessments in KS1 and KS2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowcellar, Jun 30, 2008.

1. I am looking for a published science assessment package for Year 1 to Year 6 that provides a reliable sub levelled grading to improve our current science tracking. Does anyone use anthing out there?

Many thanks

2. I am looking for a published science assessment package for Year 1 to Year 6 that provides a reliable sub levelled grading to improve our current science tracking. Does anyone use anthing out there?

Many thanks

3. Dopey Dwarf

Dopey Dwarf New commenter

Our school uses rising stars r something like that. First time we've used them this year (Juniors only). There is a pre topic test, 2 at end of topic and then 1 for each unit to be put together to make an end of year assessment.
    My results from them don't seem too bad but maybe others think differently.

4. We use NSI Publishing tests for Years 2 to 6. I find them very reliable and the format is SATS based. Ive used them for the last 2 years and have found them to be really reliable in terms of my own vs their assessment criteria. I give each test at the end of every topic.

Their website is dreadful, find it by googling NSI Publishing and you'll see what I mean but the tests themselves i'd highly recommend.

Jo

5. Take a look at the MiniSATS assessments for Years 1-6 on www.minisats.co.uk.

Although not mentioned on their website (but in their brochure) you can actually purchase a unit test <u>of your choice</u> (with mark scheme and levelling guide) for just £9.50. The series sensibly requires all 6 test scores in a full year to be taken account of, before reporting a final summative level.

In our experience the issue of over-generous levels does not arise. To get a level 5a in Year 6 requires some talent!

6. This is probably very unhelpful but have tried both LCP and Rising Stars and had an absolute nightmare with them. Be very careful of investing in either before you're absolutely sure they do what you want.

7. It depends on the way you want to assess. I spent most of my budget buying rising stars assessments on CD ROM, Active assessment and concept cartoons last year. Rising stars are evry difficult- especially for KS1- not very clear and a lot of reading. I tend to do a few of those a year in conjunction with teacher assessment based on active assessment book and concept cartoon assessment.

Be careful that you are not moving too far down the formative assessment route as with APP we are moving further away from that. As science coor I am there to help support teachers who are less confident in their Teacher Assessment and provide materials to aid just that. Please, please, please do not rely solely on tests!! x

8. We use NSI too. They are a useful end of unit guide. Helps me to assess if/where there are any misunderstandings or misconceptions.

9. Hi there. I work for Rising Stars and am on this thread gathering feedback for our Rising Stars Assessment products.

Just wanted to let you know that in response to the comments posted here, and feedback from trialling schools, we updated our Rising Stars Assessment materials (English, Maths and Science) in 2008. We are also bringing out new updated editions this year.

Many thanks to all who left comments - they are really useful to help us to understand what teachers need.

If anyone has any further feedback after using RS Assessment, I am happy to provide an email address.

10. Hi Beccalaw
    yes pls do give an email address. I have some questions about using RS for science.