1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science assessments for KS1 and KS2 - creative curriculum

Discussion in 'Primary' started by charleypym, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Currently we don't have a standard way of assessing the children in science. We've recently changed to creative curriculum so the QCA based unit tests aren't really helpful anymore. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for how to assess the children based on this way of plannning.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks

2. Currently we don't have a standard way of assessing the children in science. We've recently changed to creative curriculum so the QCA based unit tests aren't really helpful anymore. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for how to assess the children based on this way of plannning.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks

3. In Wales at KS2, we only assess children's enquiry skills which are the same whatever area of science the children are studying. Check out the Welsh Assembly Government's poster which gives you a progression in 14 skills (5 for planning, 6 for developing and 3 for reviewing) from Level 1-8+ - it works for me. Not sure how this fits in with the National Curriculum in England. I'd be interested to read what teachers in England think of this.
    http://wales.gov.uk/docs/dcells/publications/090916sciencelevelsposteren.pdf

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. we have developed skills ladders and these help to plan and assess groups
    we have them for all the ats.