1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science Assessment

Discussion in 'Primary' started by teach321, Oct 28, 2015.

1. teach321

teach321 New commenter

Does anyone do formal science tests (or end of topic tests), or do you just assess within the day to day lessons? We used rising stars with the old curriculum but I didn't like them due to the wording of the questions and the very specific types of questions they asked. I actually prefer assessing using questioning/quizzes and asking the children to set up investigations etc. Just wondering what others do.

2. LPhill

LPhill New commenter

Also interested to find out what people do in KS1 and 2. We have Rising Stars switched on science but the assessments are not good, they don't relate well to the curriculum objectives.

3. man501

man501 New commenter

Something that may help is the Teacher Assessment in Primary Science (TAPS) project materials, from Bath Spa University. The website is here: http://www.bathspa.ac.uk/schools/ed...cts/cresl-teacher-assessment-in-primary-years

And an interactive online version of their main output, the assessment pyramid, is here http://www.pstt.org.uk/SiteDocuments/doc/taps/taps-pyramid-final.pdf

The online PDF also includes lots of exemplification material to show what each assessment 'option' in the pyramid could look like in the classroom.

4. henny_penny

henny_penny New commenter

We use testbase questions at end of topics to assess science knowledge - carefully chosen to relate to NC objectives. We assess working scientifically formatively using a representative group of pupils per class and assessing against key WS objectives for each year group.

My current headache is assessing Y6 against the interim statements - is anyone attempting to gather evidence that pupils have achieved ALL the statements in order to justify that they are working at age related expectation?

5. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

HI there, feeling a bit daft but i can't work out how to start a new thread! I am new to primary science leadership and wondered if anyone could let me know of any updates/latest news in the primary curriculum? Is there anything major I need to be aware of? Many thanks.

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Hello @tick/star/smileyface :)

Go to the front page of the Primary Forum and look for the box 'Post New Thread'.
    upload_2016-1-14_20-40-18.png

Click on the box and you'll be taken to the Create Thread page.

Write your thread title in the box indicated by the red arrow and your message in the box indicated by the blue arrow.

upload_2016-1-14_20-45-24.png

Once you've finished click on Create Thread just underneath the box.

upload_2016-1-14_20-46-38.png

Have a go! :)

7. tick/star/smileyface

tick/star/smileyface New commenter

Thanks I found it just before this! I was in the wrong place - hadn't logged in since the new site! Thanks

marlin likes this.
  8. marlin

marlin Star commenter

@tick/star/smileyface

Yes - I noticed after I'd posted that you'd worked it out whilst I was typing! :D:D

Might be useful for another poster though. :)

9. teacherflea

teacherflea New commenter

I also don't know what to do regarding Y6 this year - really difficult to evidence all of the statements. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

10. hairycornflake

hairycornflake New commenter

What is out there for the new NC? I take it testbase is old NC?

11. henny_penny

henny_penny New commenter

Yes testbase questions were written against old curriculum but questions can still be used to assess what children do or don't know.

Teacherflea, we are now using the interim framework to guide our Y6 science teaching (at least until end May) Eg this half term we are teaching a somewhat condensed unit on Light (3 weeks) and then having some revision weeks on Sound, Forces etc so that the children have an opportunity to revisit these topics and plug gaps as they crop up. Next half term will be the same - condensing the Y6 topics and revisiting earlier year-group topics using the statements to focus what we cover. Our science adviser is somewhat vague about we should tackle science assessment so as a school we have decided to try and visit as many of the topics as we can so we have a reasonably broad evidence base.

12. goingtoofast

goingtoofast New commenter

Has anyone been notified yet as to whether their school will be one of the ones where some children have to take science tests? On the dates for Assessment 2016 it says schools will be notified in early spring term.