1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science Assessment

Discussion in 'Primary' started by redladybird, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Hi, I am just wondering if any one uses an APP style grid or something similar to help with the monitoring of SCI 1 objectives? Do you use this to help inform planning and the progression of SCI 1 skills through out the school? Does your staff find it helpful?

Our county have given a set of statements for APP but my school did not really like how they are organised? I was wondering if anyone would be able to share/ or tell me about how their school assess SCI 2, 3 and 4. Any helpful hints or words of warning would be very much appreciated. Thanks RLB xxx

2. We have split the sc1 statements into separate skills ladders for each part of the strand e.g. planning/recording etc. (Welsh curriculum, so whole curriculum is skills led with only a small amount of knowledge specified - but am sure it would work with SC1 just as well, from memory).
    When we are planning a lesson, we are to look at the ladder for the skill we particularly want to focus on and ensure that the activity has scope to address the skill at the different steps on the ladder so they can best fullfill their potential. Assessment is easy then as you can see how their worked matched up to the ladder and assess just that part of the sc1 so that we are not trying to look at too many areas at once and therefore complicate matters.

3. Thanks Waterfin. That is what I have been trying to create but have been going round in circles and started to question myself. Is this something your school has created or LEA? Did you draw the levels from gov APP sttatement? I have been looking at our LEA statements but they are overly complicated.
    RLBxxx

4. Sorry to ask so many questions but do you have to keep any evidence file? Or is this based on the work in childrens books and observations from lessons? Thanks RLB xxx

5. Hi, I've just put the resource we use in the resources section - Scientific Enquiry Assessment Sheet Yrs 1 - 6.
    Hope it helps!
    Liz

6. Thanks for all your help Waterfin and Lizdoig.
    RLBxxx