1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science Assessment - Creative Curriculum

Discussion in 'Science' started by catkenny, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I am a newly appointed Science Co-ordinator in a primary school and have been asked to look at the way that we assess Science and to develop a new assessment format. I have looked at the APP materials with the rest of the staff at my school however we don't really like the way that it is presented and would prefer a format which has sub-levels and next steps in learning which are clearly set out.
    I was just wondering if anyone is already using a format which clearly sets out the next steps in learning. I have been looking online and a few resources have come up however most of them are based on the QCA schemes of work. I think I might have to possibly use one of them and adapt it to fit in with the creative curriculum.
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Catherine

2. Hello,
    I am a newly appointed Science Co-ordinator in a primary school and have been asked to look at the way that we assess Science and to develop a new assessment format. I have looked at the APP materials with the rest of the staff at my school however we don't really like the way that it is presented and would prefer a format which has sub-levels and next steps in learning which are clearly set out.
    I was just wondering if anyone is already using a format which clearly sets out the next steps in learning. I have been looking online and a few resources have come up however most of them are based on the QCA schemes of work. I think I might have to possibly use one of them and adapt it to fit in with the creative curriculum.
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Catherine

3. TRJ

TRJ New commenter

have you looked at badger level assessed tasks?

a quick google search of science level assessed tasks may bring up more

4. p1j39

p1j39 New commenter

I think the problem is that the sub-levels are a fantasy!

Pupils are given level (level2, level3, etc), there is no such thing as level 3b or 3a. You cannot quantify from one piece of work where the child is like that, only how they did on that piece of work.

5. Waterfin

Waterfin New commenter

Sub levels are a fantasy, but in Wales I've heard the mention that we will soon be required to record levels in this way, as a low, secure or high level whatever.
    You need to look at the level descriptors. I'm sure that someone has made skills ladders to match the progression in them (new curriculum and levels for us, so I can't offer mine as they won't match your curriculum). Ask your subject leader at your County (if you have one), or google it as I've seen a few online that are sadly no use to me in Wales.
    We are supposed to focus on one part of the curriculum in each lesson and look at the skills ladder that we can assess the children against.

6. p1j39

p1j39 New commenter

So if you are only looking at one skill at a time, how can you assign a sub-level? A child maybe a 3c but that could be because you haven't given them the chance to achieve a 3b or 3a. Does this make them any more or less secure at level 3?