1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science Assessment and Marking

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by eelmy, Oct 17, 2015.

1. eelmy

eelmy New commenter

having some difficult times in my department presently. I am head of science in a secondary school. Trying to get assessment right so it serves the students whilst giving staff a sensible deal in terms of workload. If you ask too much it just falls apart.

So what do science teachers mark elsewhere? What do you get the students to mark?

Lost the plot a little and getting an unfair amount of pressure from SLT and guess what OFSTED are over-due too.

Thoughts are very welcome, please and thank-you.

2. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

You might want to re-post on Science subject forum.:)

monicabilongame likes this.
  3. mark6243

mark6243 Occasional commenter

Fools errand. Can't be done. Peace in the Middle East is a more plausible task. It's what an old careerist HoD used to push me out a few years ago.

My advice? Either crush your staff and survive SLT and ***** from Ofsted, or be nice and lose your job.

drek likes this.
  4. eelmy

eelmy New commenter

Thanks for the honest reply

5. HarryMS

HarryMS New commenter

Hi eelmy,

This isn't a science-specific solution, though I answer from the perspective of a science teacher. My school requires teachers to mark students' work using marking sticker templates. Whilst this ensures a consistent unambiguous standard of marking, it takes ages to complete a class set and involves hand-writing similar comments again and again.

In response, I developed MarkSmarter.com to enable teachers to create a class set of 'stickers' just by uploading a spreadsheet template. You can see some examples of the sticker formats on the site. This slashed the amount of time it took to mark a set of books, whilst still ensuring that students get decent responses to their work.

It is free for teachers to use the existing formats on the site. If you like any assistance with using it, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Harry
    ---
    MarkSmarter.com

6. joedoggyuk

joedoggyuk New commenter

Put together an assessment check list for level 3, 4, 5 etc. Kids stick it in, teacher ticks off what's been done, highlights a target and gives a level. Saves the teacher writing the same sentence again and again.

7. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

For GCSE there is often statements about what constitutes a certain grade in the textbooks (we have a name for them but it would quite possibly identify!) Students can do these and self assess/peer assess etc. We do Excel. If you do as well can PM you with more info!

8. wrbdb

wrbdb New commenter

For each pupil we enter the mark they scored on each question, this generates the report shown:
    Feedback.png

9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

How many questions do you ask per topic to generate your %?

You need a reasonable number to get a reliable result...

10. wrbdb

wrbdb New commenter

It is just one assessment and one question per topic. Sorry I didn't mean report as in sent home to parents report, that is what we stick in the books after each assessment.

11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

You have to ask yourself how reliable is a % for a topic based on one question per topic?

A range of questions covering several aspects of the topic in question would give you a more reliable figure and a more holistic view of the child's understanding when aggregated with your knowledge of them from classwork, but I expect there are time constraints.

The pointlessness of these exercises foisted on teachers because they have to show something numerical has gone beyond silly.

12. wrbdb

wrbdb New commenter

Most questions are out of about 10 marks. It is enough, and it is quicker to generate those reports than mark a set of books.