1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science assemblies

Discussion in 'Science' started by mfd1, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Our deputy head used to do a special assembly called 'The dangers of smoking and drinking.'
    Many small explosions, and chemical reactions - I think there was an iodene clock involved at one point - and culminating in a large H2 filled ballon being lit by a rather scared Head of Year - shook the dust of the theatre lights. We had the advantage of raked seating though, so all could see even small things. Lots of lights turning on and off too.
    Large scale physics or chemistry lends itself well to assemblies. You could get a pendulum and challenge kids to sit there as you release it from level with their nose and stay until it comes back. It won't hit them, but even if you tell them they won't stay still! A race which is clearly unfair - give one an umbrella to run with, one two, one an open blanket and see who wins?

2. https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Science-is-Magic-6178592/

You could use a visualizer connected to a projector for some.

3. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I really like the H2 bottle, now that is a finish.

I quite like the idea of having a few of these and turning them into a competition as one of you suggested. So doing the rockets, the blanket and umbrella race and one or two from the link provided.

Anyone got anything else?

4. Do you have full instructions of how to do this

5. Evertonian

Evertonian New commenter

Not so much big experiments but I like to use Science to link to inclusion, LGBT, careers etc. etc. - so much that can be done that way too!

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Don't forget that you can also use the assembly to poke fun at colleagues![​IMG]

7. Assuming you do not have access to gas taps:

whoosh bottle
    elephants' toothpaste
    potassium permanganate and glycerol
    hydrogen BALLOON (not bottle)
    sugar and concentrated acid in a tall beaker

8. Evertonian

Evertonian New commenter

Ah yeah I forgot the most important bit! Haha