1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science APP

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by primaryteacher12, Aug 3, 2011.

1. I am an NQT and just coming up to my first teaching post. I have all of the children's SATs test results, showing each child's level that they achieved and I have sorted my class groups i.e. literacy and numeracy according to these levels.
    However, the previous class teacher did not use APP for science, and I have been told that I am going to have to do this... Am I right in thinking that I should take the READING levels from the children to level children's science abilities - just to start off with, anyway, these may change when I get to know the class...

2. Might their Science TA be a better start point?

3. The previous teacher should have kept some sort of records if not APP and there should be a teacher assessment level (if you are teaching year 3 there must be a teacher assessment for KS1 SATS) Reading level will not help you with their science levels. I personally wouldn't teach science in ability groups.