1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science and Maths lesson

Discussion in 'Science' started by Harrietmaesmith, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Harrietmaesmith

Harrietmaesmith New commenter

I have been asked to teach a lesson which applies a mathematical skill through a science based topic for an observed lesson. I am struggling to think of an idea which I can really highlight my ability to teach in this way... Any ideas?!

2. Thejumpingjew

Thejumpingjew New commenter

How about distance / velocity time graphs linking to gradients and areas under graphs. you can get something to do races to create a displacement time graph. from this they can calculate velocities using gradients. then you can also do areas under velocity time graphs to work out distance Travelex. its all about how you pitch it

3. TRJ

TRJ New commenter

What year group/which subject area?

plenty of calcs and math skills in science especially physics, but also quantitative chemistry and biology - cell magnification etc.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Have a look at past papers .... the maths is usually pretty simple in Bio, a bit more challenging in Phys and Chem at GCSE. Consider the skills in interpreting tables of data and graphs. Have a look at examiners' reports to see exactly what's expected - and how candidates lose marks.
    These ideas could easily be applied in KS3 as well as KS4.

5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

You don't say which year? But, genetics in biology involves ratio. graphs and there interpretation occurs across all 3. Velocity time, and distance time, graphs do cause confusion for students. Formulae in chemistry also involve ratios. Etc etc etc.

6. msuxg

msuxg New commenter

You might find some inspiration in the Teaching Approaches booklet (pdf, free download) that accompanies the Association for Science Education's Language of Mathematics in Science project.

7. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

make popcorn

8. hephelumps

hephelumps New commenter

Calculating bond energies is a good one, linking to endo and exothermic energy level diagrams

9. TeacherClaire2

TeacherClaire2 New commenter

Math and science are not my strongest subject so I have found many good lesson plans and ideas for math and science here. Hope it helps!