1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science Advice

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by jafitife, Jan 19, 2016.

1. jafitife

jafitife New commenter

Good Evening

Looking for some advice from my secondary colleagues!

I currently teach in primary and have been asked by a friend to to a bit of work with her daughter prior to her starting secondary school in August (Scotland).

I'll be supporting her with science and I'm limited to a 60 minute session with her each week. The subject of science is so wonderful, albeit vast in content and I'm wondering if anyone can offer me advice on areas they feel would be more beneficial to focus on and skills I could be developing for her starting first-year science?

Furthermore are there any books, textbooks you could recommend for using as homework or general reading?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

2. brothermunro

brothermunro Occasional commenter

Sadly there aren't any good general S1/2(3) text books* out there since 5-14 went away and very school started doing their own thing. I would focus on skills!
    1. Experiments - the structure of Aim, Hypothesis, Method, Results, Analysis, Conclusion and Evaluation is key in all three sciences at every level. There are loads you can do at home and getting the idea behind testing things and applying the scientific method is very important.
    2. Research - finding out about stuff you are curious about and being able to tell if the source is any good are vital (in the real world at any rate), as is recording where you found your information.
    3. Maths - core maths skills would be basic algebra, line graphs, bar charts and percentages.
    But if you want to do a bit of knowledge based stuff here are some fundamental ones:
    • Chemistry - Periodic Table - learning about all (or a selection of) the elements, the structure of the atom why the periodic table is arranged the way it is etc. There is a fantastic app (for iOS, not sure about Android) called 'The Elements' by Theodore Gray that is really useful.
    • Biology - Cells - Learning the structure of cells, the different types, what they do and how they can be combined - you can even look at your own if you have access to a microscope
    • As for physics many schools do very little in S1/2/3 but Newtons Laws are always a good place to start, waves or electricity would also be good.
    *The 'Science for Excellence' books are complete rubbish in my opinion