1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science activities - Under the sea

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by helenfw, Apr 26, 2009.

1. I have an observation coming up, the head wants a Science focus.
    Our topic is under the sea, does anyone have any great ideas? Thanks

2. Bump!! Anyone ...please!!!

3. Floating and sinking - What would sink to the bottom of the sea? Lots of different objects to sort and predict what will float/sink.
    Making boats - Use junk modelling bits, can they make a boat that floats?
    Waterproof materials - Test different materials to see how much water they soak up/keep out. What would be best to use as a divers suit?

4. Thanks - have already done the making boats - for my last observation!!
    I had thought of floating and sinking, but this is the one activity I always struggle to make exciting! Any ideas on how to make a really 'WOW' lesson??

5. Thanks - have already done the making boats - for my last observation!!
    I had thought of floating and sinking, but this is the one activity I always struggle to make exciting! Any ideas on how to make a really 'WOW' lesson??

6. Thanks - have already done the making boats - for my last observation!!

7. Sorry - obviously didn't mean to post 3 times!!!

8. Dont know waht age/stage you are with ,Im with nursery and doing under the sea ,
    How about some jellyfish science ..lack of bones ..etc beautiful powerpoint/video images can lead to jelly making or fantastic art?/[​IMG]

9. I did floating and sinking with my class earlier on this week and we linked it with numeracy and the children had to guess how many marbles it would take to sink the plastic boats, they absolutely loved it!! Had boats of different sizes and had the AA writing their estimates on whiteboards and seeing who was the closest, we talked about bigger/smaller etc, was really good!

10. Lovely ocean science activities on this site, particularly the ones about ocean currents. Lots of scope for predictions, observations and open-ended questioning.
    http://www.angelfire.com/la/kinderthemes/oscience.html