1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sci Fi, not fantasy, recommend me an author

Discussion in 'Book club' started by dulltart, May 27, 2007.

1. 14 | Posted by: carter101 at 15 Jun 2007 12:36
    Try Richard Morgan, Ken McLeod, Alastair Reynolds and Peter F Hamilton. Some of the best sci-fi out at the moment: and all from the UK!

British science fiction has never been this good!

Thanks carter101 I have just finished The Stone Canal by Ken McLeod and find that he has written a few others. So that will keep me going for a little while.

I read a lot of Philip K Dick when I was young (and that was quite a long time ago really!), I suppose I could revisit. My opinion might be quite different now. I remember having to read Tess of the D'Urbevilles for A Level and loathing it with a passion. I then re-read it in my early 30's and thought it was great! I was on a bit of a Hardy jag at the time.

2. You have to try some JG Ballard. It will blow your mind.

3. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

alfred bester
    I think

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

they are.
    Have you done Charles Stross, Neal Asher and Richard Morgan?
    (be warned RM is good in parts)

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I'm surprised not to see John Wyndam mentioned yet. Chocky and The Midwich Cuckoos would be my favourite choices but it would be rude not to mention the Day of the Triffids.
    I'm not a huge fan of science fiction. It can feel a bit florid and exaggerated to me sometimes. I love John Wyndam's restrained style which works well with his clever plots.