1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sci Fi, not fantasy, recommend me an author

Discussion in 'Book club' started by dulltart, May 27, 2007.

1. I feel like I have read most of what I think of as 'proper' science fiction and have been casting around for different authors. I don't want sub Tolkien type fantasy. I like the older stuff - Arthur C Clarke, Isaac Asimov. I also like Ursula Le Guin, Sherri S Tepper, Iain M Banks, Ben Bova, Anne McCaffrey, Kim Stanley Robinson, too many to name really. As it's half term I would like to treat myself to a 'new' novel. The only 'fantasy' stuff I like is Terry Pratchett and that is because I regard him as closer to satire than fantasy and it makes me laugh hugely! Can anyone help?

2. I feel like I have read most of what I think of as 'proper' science fiction and have been casting around for different authors. I don't want sub Tolkien type fantasy. I like the older stuff - Arthur C Clarke, Isaac Asimov. I also like Ursula Le Guin, Sherri S Tepper, Iain M Banks, Ben Bova, Anne McCaffrey, Kim Stanley Robinson, too many to name really. As it's half term I would like to treat myself to a 'new' novel. The only 'fantasy' stuff I like is Terry Pratchett and that is because I regard him as closer to satire than fantasy and it makes me laugh hugely! Can anyone help?

3. Hello, you have probably read Ray Bradbury, but he is one of my fave Sci Fi writers, also HG Wells. My number 1 recommendation to you is Woman on the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy (1979 Women's Press). It's about a woman, Meican American, who is labelled a child abuser (but she's a good mother) and put in a mental hospital, where her only hope of release is to agree to take part in a mind control experiment involving implants in her brain. I read it at uni as part of a Utopian fiction course and loved it. It's "the most serious and fully imagined Utopia since LeGuin's The Dispossessed, according to the Kirkus Review.
    Also may I recommend The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, Oryx and Crake by the same writer, and Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro. Love them all. But Ray Bradbury's The Pedestrian and others too numerous to mention are my favourites too. Please let me know what you think if you read any of them. I love Sci Fi, it is an under rated genre and one of my favourites. :)

4. sorry Mexican American!

5. Ken MacLeod's "Star Fraction" arc (more recent stuff not so good).

Dan Simmons "Olympus/Ilium"

You haven't listed Bruce Sterling or William Gibson - is that too "near future"?

6. My OH reads a lot of Alastair Reynolds...

7. really love Robert H Heinlein.

noticed you like Anne McCaffrey - similar stuff is Marion Zimmer Bradley although really annoying that most out of press atmo!

philip k dick is thought provoking - tho some are tat.

8. Have a look at Baen.com. They publish mainly Sci-Fi and have a free library, as well as sample chapters of quite a lot of the books in their catalogue.

9. Well some really interesting suggestions; thanks very much everyone. Lilysmum - yes I have read the Margaret Atwood ones you suggested and Woman on the Edge of Time. Have you read Body of Glass by Marge Piercy? Also very good. And I totally agree about Sci Fi as a genre.

I haven't read Never Let Me Go, so that is worth a try.

Dan Simmons - he's a new one to me. William Gibson I did try a few years ago and was not hugely impressed, but he is probably worth revisiting, now that I am a more mature and sophisticated individual (!!).

I will certainly check out the website you posted Jojane. Thanks everyone.

10. Hi dulltart, I haven't read Body of Glass and thanks for the recommendation. Never Let Me Go is a good read although it falls a little flat at the end. See what you think, anyway.

11. Have you read any of the CS Lewis Science trilogy?

'Out of the Silent Planet'
    'Perelendra' and
    'This hideous Strength'?

Also you don't mention any John Wyndham. (Day of the Triffids etc) Another older SF author that I loved was Vonda MCIntyre (Dreamsnake) although I think it may be out of print.

12. Body of Glass appears out of print on Amazon - it's selling second hand copies at £9 each.

13. Greg Bear - 'Eon' and its sequal 'Eternity' and 'Forge of God' and its sequal 'Anvil of the Stars' - absolute nonesense but great fun. (except Anvil which I tried to re-read recently and found very gloomy and full of angst)

Also - Moving Mars - and many many more.

14. Arthur C Clarke - 2000 series (2001, 2010 etc) and the Rendezvous with Rama cycle.

15. Try Richard Morgan, Ken McLeod, Alastair Reynolds and Peter F Hamilton. Some of the best sci-fi out at the moment: and all from the UK!

British science fiction has never been this good!

16. Right - to the library or failing that Waterstones. Over half term I read (amongst other stuff, also really like crime fiction and historical stuff) Darwin's Children by Greg Bear. That was really interesting - reminiscent of The Midwich Cuckoos.

17. John Christopher's trilogy 'Sword of the High Seers' etc, also 'The Guardians' :)

18. No Philip K Dick mentioned yet? Start with Man in the High Castle, or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, or Ubiq for a good taste of the paranoid world he inhabited.

19. I have forgotten the authors name but 'The Stars My Destination' is one of my favourites
    William Gibson is fantastic - Neuromancer is the best place to start
    Philip K Dick of course - Do androids dream... is excellent but i have never read a bad book of his
    Lords of Light is weird but very cool - forgotten that author as well...
    A less futuristic but excellent book is I Am Legend. Just finished it and about to start it again

20. Title 'Only forward' can't remember the author.