1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools won't be back til September at the EARLIEST

Discussion in 'News' started by sidaji, May 11, 2020.

1. sidaji

sidaji New commenter

As I have read a lot of teachers are worried about going back too early. Don't worry, this will be the case and don't listen to the nonsense Boris spoke about it is totally ridiculous just like the "herd immunity" before backtracking just a few days later. Just hope things will be better by September.

install and Supplylady like this.
  2. rpelectricals

rpelectricals New commenter

I agree that schools in England, despite the PM's expressed wishes last night, will not begin a phased return on 1st June.
    As I said in a different thread, there is no way the Government can justify exposing English kids and school staff to extra risk - however small that risk might be - when the Governments in Scotland and Wales have decided it is unsafe to do so. The unions will dig in hard to oppose such a move and the perceived disparity/inequality between the home nations.
    How can it be safe for reception/Y1/Y6 children to return to school in Berwick (England), but not in Eyemouth (Scotland) which is less than 7 miles away? How can it be safe for children to return to school in Chester (England), but not in Connah's Quay (Wales), which is only 6 miles away?
    It's an absurd situation and it won't come to fruition.

3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

It is all absurd but I would think it is now quite likely to happen as it has become political.

Sturgeon is again mouthing off and calling Boris a clown - all very counterproductive if the idea is to get him to change his mind on anything, let alone schools.

He knows (I am sure) that so many people already were doing as he now has allowed that the R rate is unlikely to spike much in 2.5 weeks. (His final decision time on the schools).

It sounds childish but I don't think Boris could stand having Sturgeon keep saying 'I am glad he saw sense and followed us' as she tends to do and so sure, there is a chance schools won't go back but be sure he will do all he can now that they do.

Politics is as cynical as it can get - just look at all the nonsense with Brexit.

4. OG19

OG19 New commenter

Calling him Boris sums it all up: he's a TV chat-show guest hopelessly out of his depth.
    It's Johnson, like it was May, Cameron, Brown, Blair, Major and the rest.

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I'd like to congratulate you on your first post in 13 years of membership.

6. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

The elephant in the room is how ‘normal’ it can be in September. Worst case scenario is that we are in a second wave and lockdown by then. Best case is normality but I suspect it may still be somewhere in between. Although many parents seem against sending children back now, I sense that if kids are not back normally in September the mood will change.

7. ukpaul

ukpaul Occasional commenter

What's with this affectation that I keep seeing of calling Johnson by his first name but others with their surname? I always call politicians by their surname, it shows a shared respect. I cringe whenever anyone refers to a celebrity with their first name too, as though they are on first name terms. Maybe I'm too old to 'get it'.

8. sidaji

sidaji New commenter

Thanks, but in my 13 years of teaching this is the first time I have had any concerns about education and all my colleagues around me.

idlp56, Piscean1, install and 3 others like this.
  9. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/05/18/weekinreview/populist-pomp-just-call-me-tony.html

Simple truth is if I wrote 'Nicola' I am not sure many would know who I am referring to. I'd have to add who she is and that is not on, too much work.

Boris has done a Tony and got the media to use his first name almost universally, plus the main reason I write it is there are fewer letters than Johnson.

You and others may not like that and I also don't really know how he did it or how it happened but he is referred to as Boris across so many sections of the media it is arguably going to cause confusion if you refer to him as 'Johnson'.

If Nicola does a Boris does a Tony I will gladly refer to her as Nicola or even better Nic, as again it saves space.

Until then, call me Dumpo.

10. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

It could be said that children a few miles away from Berwick get a lot more in benefits etc-presumably free uni if they go as well? So while I agree it's crazy, people are used to getting more or less despite living closely; someone I know gets none of the free benefits/access to amenities her next door neighbour gets because they are in in different council areas. Obviously I'm not saying that's the same as exposing people to a deadly virus, and not exposing people a few miles away...

11. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe New commenter

I have not seen where Sturgeon has called Johnson "a clown" could you cite the source?

silkywave, MollyM and Alice K like this.
  12. ParakeetGreen

ParakeetGreen New commenter

A phased approach in June makes sense. Phased being the "operative" word, for the following simple reason:

There are HUGE numbers of people. Period.

Even a fraction of that is still enormous and a given fraction will suit having the option of going to school. Such a fraction will need some support staff but not all. Therefore there should still be much that is elective and situational about such a phased return. Footie looks like it might be back on in June and various other such activities with a big financial reality as well...

As to the safety of it, I think we'll find that that is not so bad at all as to how the disease mechanism mainly threatens people ie scenarios of risk severity. I do think there is cause for "worry" in the Autumn and a 2nd wave possible which is depressing to think about and not worth it given the life-affirming sunshine and Darling Buds Of May - today.

Personally I believe there's way too much classroom time for students normally, so a balance of some school days in and out imho seems a better future anyway. But - I digress... !

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  13. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

Boris is not his first name. His first name is Alexander.

awhitham, phlogiston and install like this.
  14. OG19

OG19 New commenter

Do people really refer to Tony Blair as Tony? I'd say it was either Blair or Tony Blair but rarely, if ever, Tony.
    I'm not convinced by the number of letters argument either.
    "Boris" is an invention of the right-wing press barons to hide behind and peddle their views. He's basically a sound-bite.

phlogiston and harsh-but-fair like this.
  15. BethAh13

BethAh13 New commenter

I've written a song for primary pupils called 'You are the colour in the classroom'! Please see what you think and share with your pupils.

16. ukpaul

Ah, yes, I remember that now. It's just weird, I automatically translate it in my head to 'Johnson'.

17. pdilmaghani

pdilmaghani New commenter

not true, my school has a headteacher that is already planning a timetable for june 1st, ''we will be ready to open by june 1st'' even though its a secondary non private school.
    I have my opinions on that statement, but when your headteacher is saying that, and actively welcoming that, what can you do?!?!

agathamorse likes this.
  18. ukpaul

Report them.

awhitham likes this.
  19. botanybod

botanybod New commenter

You can follow the advice of the Unions and not engage in any planning for a June opening, until the Union have issued further guidance. It is plainly obvious that the government are spoiling for a fight with he Unions, they will blame a failure to reopen on the 1st June on the Unions. Is there anything to be gained from siding with the government rather than the Unions. If we do that, we may as well bend over and let them take aim.

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I admire your HT's optimism - but they won't be allowed to open.

install and wolvochick like this.