1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools with revolving doors

Discussion in 'Education news' started by blazer, Aug 31, 2019.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

2. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Can you imagine the instability that level of absence causes? There's a teacher in the article (I think) who mentions how hard it is to teach when so many pupils have missed so many lessons.

I wonder whether the students become indifferent to exclusions once enough people start getting them (and for trivial reasons, too, according to the article), making them less effective. I didn't enjoy secondary school very much - the idea of being able to get two days off by wearing the wrong socks might have appealed to me, especially if everyone else was doing it.

Brunel and Corvuscorax like this.
  3. Brunel

Brunel Established commenter

I never understood the argument that exclusion helps to modify student behaviour. As Grandsire says, if a student is disaffected in the first place the prospect of officially sanctioned time off school is hardly likely to be a deterrent. Saying, as a Northern Education Trust spokesman does, that they exclude students for short periods so they can “reflect on their behaviour” is almost as laughable a comment as the one from a government spokesperson who opined “Exclusion from school should not mean exclusion from education.”

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If you exclude on that scale surely li loses its deterrent effect?

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

There's a lot of back story that needs telling before we can condemn.
    On the surface, it looks as if the policy is not working. One time many years ago, the school where I was working had an increase in fixed term exclusions. The head's line was that most of these exclusions were "one-offs" with a difficult year group and that did seem to be working.
    We then got a new head who aimed to reduce exclusions. He was successful with that, but behaviour was challenging for a while until he also moved on as for a while there weren't any alternatives "with teeth".

stonerose and install like this.
  6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I suppose that it might mean that the students who want to learn are able to do so fo at least some of the time. Remember when it was normal to send them to stand outside the headmaster's door? Some came back behaving better, some didn't-but at least you could teach. I'm not saying it helped the 'troubled' students, but it did help the rest.

stonerose and Oscillatingass like this.
  7. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

I do wonder how the little darlings will cope with the real world when the happy days of being mothered and flattered for being biologically immature are over. Most of the things that they would be excluded for would get them sacked.

"What? You want a day off because you feel awful? Fine, but don't come back."

stonerose likes this.
  8. Brunel

Brunel Established commenter

It may not be a coincidence that one of the academy trusts referred to in the article is reported to have a policy of ‘flattening the grass’ whereby students are routinely humiliated, special assemblies are held in which senior leaders yell in students’ faces and any complaints result in exclusion. The policy is defended (off the record because on the record it doesn’t exist) on the grounds that it works and OGAT have some very impressive exam results, (though a surprising number of students ‘disappear’ in Year 11). Whether the ends justify the means is an interesting question though. Perhaps the NET trust think so - the chief executive used to work at OGAT.