1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools to Return - DfE Statement

Discussion in 'News' started by pair_of_argyles, Jul 2, 2020.

1. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

jonnymarr likes this.
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I don't understand this. In secondary schools in the city where I teach, they can have a bubble of 300 then, as it's 'per year group'. But in my tiny prep we can't have a whole school bubble of 100?
    Local pub? Home?
    So on a freezing day in November, your free school parents will be happy with their child having a cup-a-soup and a sandwich for lunch? Hmmm

3. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice Occasional commenter

We will be continuing to offer an extensive range of lunch options- soup and sandwiches are only two examples. We also have a hot dish of the day, pasta, baguettes and a snack option such as a hot chicken wrap.

However, all of our food is now prepared off site, frozen and then simply needs to be heated up by teaching staff. We had previously retained a kitchen manager and a part-time catering assistant to prepare homemade soup, sandwiches, egg dishes and pasta sauce. However, these will now also be made off site (for example powdered soup and a pre-prepared scrambled egg mix) and simply served in school by teachers.

4. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

Its almost as if SMT in your school have nothing to do with the education that is going on.

5. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I'm more concerned that the guidance says that we need to get all children back but then we also need to make provision for high quality remote education to start immediately if children are absent with them ideally speaking with a teacher daily.

I'm confused about how we will have the time to effectively dual plan and teach children both in school and at home. Workload already wasn't great but it's about to go through the roof.

EmmaT1982, steely1, Sally006 and 6 others like this.
  6. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Stop being so negative! We need a can do attitude from everyone*

What's your problem with calling home everyday as well as teaching and preparing online lessons, attend meeting and do the marking?

It's not as though it takes that long to call the 150 you teach in a day. Remember can do!

*Even when the situation is completely FUBAR, you haven't slept for weeks and SLT are hassling you about your lack of verbal feedback** stamps in their books.

**Be positive when you give SLT your verbal feedback about this, but keep it snappy and to the point. Really, really to the point.

steely1, Marisha, Smiler31 and 9 others like this.
  7. Newidentity

Newidentity New commenter

[QUOTE=" Teachers will be asked to go elsewhere when not teaching, so PPA time will be taken in cars or in nearby cafes. Teachers will also be asked to take over some further auxiliary tasks such as canteen cleaning.

[/QUOTE]

Lol. And which bridge close to your school do you live under?

steely1, Marisha, ilovesooty and 5 others like this.
  8. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

TBH, the chances of any of these so-called strategies and guidance ever really happening in real life are few. We should spare some thought for the SLTs who will be ripping up each plan on a daily basis from now until September as guidance and thinking changes (as it surely will). The hours and money spent on sticking distracted stickers to school corridor floors etc only to discover the ' new approach' of no distancing has got to be very frustrating. I think we should plan for remote learning in a way that can be adapted if and when we return and open a nice bottle of gin. We'll have Headmastersoffice for amusement in the mean time.

9. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

How much education goes on in imaginary schools?

10. install

install Star commenter

Another wind up imho :rolleyes:

11. install

install Star commenter

Imho I have no sympathy for slt in some schools where they have not stepped into help teach during a pandemic.

In my view, some lazy slt types in some schools will be only too happy to send emails to their minions though and that may include putting the tape up and taking it down.

steely1, Marisha and ilovesooty like this.
  12. ridleyrumpus

In secondary what happens when a, huge, bubble is quarantined? Do the teachers go into quarantine too?

If they do then unless teachers are limited to one year group only that will remove all teachers who have taught the quarantined year group ie pretty much all the teachers. Which would effectively shut the school.

So presumably the kids go into quarantine and not the most vulnerable person in the classroom, the teacher.

What are the unions saying about year group bubbles in secondary?

Smiler31, agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.
  13. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

If the teachers are peripatetic then the system will collapse swiftly like a long line of dominoes clacking off into the sunset.

14. ridleyrumpus

Has there been any guidance on marking/handling student books?

15. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Lol. Good work.

16. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Are you going to sack those people when furlough winds down?

17. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Such altruism and evidence of concern for one's fellows. I'd go further and suggest the HT isolate themselves in a camper van now -so that when the all expected second wave arrives he/she can ride the crest all the way to the classroom and begin teaching the lessons themselves.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice Occasional commenter

Clearly no organisation wants to be in a position where redundancies are required. Having said that, we are always looking at how we can be more efficient and effective in terms of our spending and curricular offer.

PE is a actually an area where we have already restructured provision so that most lessons are now delivered by outside coaches and teachers are only required to deliver theoretical aspects of certificated courses. I suspect we will look to further reduce staffing here.

Drama, music and art are all subjects that are nice to have, but again they are not core facets of our curricular offering. Once it is safe to recommence delivery of these courses, I think we will look to reduce staffing and utilise more external support to free up resources for priority subjects.

19. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

So that's a yes then.

20. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

That's okay. I can afford to employ imaginary people. I can give them a raise too.

steely1 likes this.