1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools to Return - DfE Statement

Discussion in 'News' started by pair_of_argyles, Jul 2, 2020.

1. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

2. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

An awful lot could happen between now and September.

3. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I can't see kids dying since so far there have thankfully very few instances of child deaths. I can see the virus being spread faster than a year 9 rumour though and it's the teachers that will succumb.
    As said above, between now and September a lot could happen. Found a newspaper in the school library yesterday dated 2nd/3rd of March " 36 deaths recorded in Britain".

5. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

These people have not been in a school. I swear it'd be better to just open fully rather than have completely ineffective measures which create insurmountable logistics issues. It makes no sense at all.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Andy13uk

Andy13uk New commenter

The most interesting thing for me is they have carefully (in my opinion) said:

"There is no evidence that children transmit the disease any more than adults."

When the whole time they have been saying children do not get infected. This statement is only saying they are NOT more contagious. I believe they did this for legal reasons. Not once do they say (please correct me if you do find anything!) that children are not contagious or anything to that effect in the official document as they have said many times about this strategy.

As colacao17 says, a lot can happen between now and September. California has just announced more lockdown measures as cases are climbing. I worry we are opening the country too quick and are going to see many more outbreaks as US is now.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...us-outbreak/guidance-for-full-opening-schools

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

8. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Awful in all senses of the word...

-Maximilian- and agathamorse like this.
  9. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

10. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

So why are you only allowed 30 people at a wedding (and in my experience, weddings are mainly made up of young people who behave sensibly, at least during the ceremony part), advised to wear masks-and why can you get fined on a bus for wearing a mask?

11. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

So why has the government’s position changed from ‘kids can get it but can’t pass it on’ to ‘they can’t pass it in more than anyone else’?

Just at the time they’re sending them back with no social distancing.

12. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

The jackboots are being polished and the clipboards readied, part of me wants to catch the bldy virus now.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Established commenter

Because they can pass it on, it stands to reason. Why wouldn’t, they, it’s the same virus that adult get.

14. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

The BBC says:

The return will be based on separating groups of children into "bubbles" and minimising contacts between them, rather than social distancing.

It will mean:

• grouping children together in groups or "bubbles", a class in primary and year group in secondary: We're going to need new buildings
    • avoiding contact in school between these groups, with separate starting, finishing, lunch and break times. So how will we avoid contact between them outside school ?
    • attendance compulsory with the threat of penalty fines. Welcome back after the traumatic events of the past 3 months -we care about you.
    • test and trace in place for schools. But not in society at large.
    • regular cleaning of hands, but masks not expected for pupils or staff. But on buses to school , yes.
    • those with symptoms told to stay out of school. Okay.
    • no big group events like school assemblies and arranging classrooms with forward facing desks. Okay.
    • separate groups on school buses and discouraging the use of public transport. School buses, what school buses?
    • pupils will be expected to continue with all their GCSEs and A-levels. Even if they reckon there won't be any next year either.
    All schools will have to draw up plans for the possibility of local lockdowns. Okay.

The guidelines warn of behaviour problems being likely after a "lack of routine" for pupils out of the school for so long. More trouble then.

They also say that Year 7 pupils, in the first year of secondary, might have to be retaught maths and English from primary school to fill the "gaps" in their knowledge. Sats would have been in May. They missed April " retaught ?"

And parents in England who do not send their children back to school in September will face fines "unless there's a good reason for absence". World wide pandemic might count as ' good reason'.

15. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

I cannot help wondering how a "bubble" that is 200+ people in size is supposed to work.

16. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

If we don't fall I'll to covid,we'll succumb to stress big time.

17. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice Occasional commenter

This is an excellent announcement from the DfE. It is time to get our schools open fully so that we can deliver the education and support our pupils need.

It is also great that the government are trusting individual headteachers and MATs to put in place safety measures that are practical and effective for their particular settings.

At my place for example we will be looking to minimise the number of staff in the building. Teachers will be asked to go elsewhere when not teaching, so PPA time will be taken in cars or in nearby cafes. Teachers will also be asked to take over some further auxiliary tasks such as canteen cleaning.

Additionally, all staff who can work off site will be doing so including office staff and SMT members. We do not believe practical lessons such as PE and drama will be able to take place safely in September so those teaching staff will remain on furlough for now.

We will also be looking to further reduce catering staffing to maintain social distancing in the kitchen so will be reviewing our offer in this area and making sure all items including sandwiches and soups can be prepared off site (e.g. in powdered form) and heated up and served by teachers at break and lunch time.

18. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Thank goodness you are back to show us the path to wise management @TheHeadteachersOffice

I was worried that we hadn't heard from you for some time about teachers cleaning the kitchens and making the sandwiches. I thought maybe you'd gone soft!

Good to know your imaginary Free school is keeping your non-existent staff in their place. Keep up the good work. Pip pip. :D

19. jonnymarr

jonnymarr Occasional commenter

Powdered sandwiches... om nom nom...! :)

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  20. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Superbly provocative. Do share your school address, I'd love to come and make some soup.

jellycowfish likes this.