1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Schools to hire army of tutors'

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by briancant, Jun 18, 2020.

1. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

2. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Astrazeneca are employing online tutors for the children of employees. I don't know how it works, but parents of my tutees told me about it a couple of days ago. They've offered it as so many children aren't getting any face to face teacher input, just set work on Monday's.

3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I hope this doesn't make things even worse for private tutors. If they are getting extra lessons at school they may not want a tutor as well.

4. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

If tutors are happy to take on more work during the day, I would imagine there will be a lot of demand for extra tutors! The agencies must be thrilled!
    I'm taking this with a pinch of salt though, as it seems every initiative which is suggested is quickly proved impossible, and abandoned.

o8, Morgelyn and humbug like this.
  5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

True, there doesn't yet seem to be any viable plan as to how schools will reopen in September, so planning all these extra lessons seems premature.

6. briancant

I wondered where they thought they were going to get all these tutors from?

7. phatsals

In reality, they'll use TAs.

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Key thing is whether schools get any money to pay for more employees. Most school budgets are pretty tight these days and they will have had to absorb many extra costs.

9. zetafunction

zetafunction New commenter

It was just announced on Newsnight that G.Wiiliamson promised a Billion pound to be spent for tutoring the pupils over the entire four nations!! it will be on the front cover of Telegraph and Times today. It is a great news but just a back of envelope calculation reveals how little this colossal sum is, no oxymoron is intended. According to stats in 2018-2019 there were 10,320,811 pupils in the UK, lets just call it 10,000,000 ( albeit the actual number for 2019-2020 will be larger), so the government wants to splash £1, 000, 000, 0000 on tutoring to make up for the lost time for all pupils due to lockdown the so called " the great Catch up plan". £1,000,000,000/10,000,000 =£100/pupil, that if one charges £50/hour will be 2 hours worth of tuition per pupil!!!!!, or even with a heavily discounted rate of, lets say, £20/hour that will only cover 5 hours of one to one tuition for every pupil.

Therefore I think it is impossible, at least with the amount of money suggested/promised, to bridge/diminish the gap left and it's long term consequences of lockdown . I also realise that not all 10 million pupils will have ordinarily the beneficiary of a private tutor for variety of reasons, finance, lack of exposure to and thinking it is not necessary or needed.

Albeit, once all pupils have the beneficiary of 1-2-1 tuition, courtesy the government, with the added advantage of familiarity of every pupil in UK to a variety of online tools to get access to their online classes, I can only see an explosion in demands for private teachers and tutors.

Nevertheless, we all should be careful not to sell ourselves short by racing to drop our fees in order to attract more pupils. Clearly the government cannot promise this indefinitely, so once pupils and parents realised that one to one tuition is not money wasted but rather essential and crucial companion for providing the best support to the education that their child already receives from their hard working (make it very hard working) teachers while putting up with loads of unacceptable behaviour and attitude. Sorry for the long winding message, I can only see growth in private tuition world. This gesture by the government, nice as it maybe, is the equivalent of free tasters in supermarket not a substitute for real thing.

10. zetafunction

zetafunction New commenter

Short version: (Not enough money) £1 billion is £100 per pupil = explosion in demand for private tuition.

11. BG54

BG54 Occasional commenter

Did that figure include Year 12 and 13 students as in the initial announcement 6th forms and colleges were excluded from the funding so post-16 tuition should not be impacted by these measures at present?

In the short term I'm uncertain whether I see this policy as an opportunity or a hindrance. I can't see the hourly rates being much more than £20 and no doubt recruitment will be via agencies who will rake off their usual 20-30%. For the longer term you may well be right that more parents will see some form of additional tuition as essential.

12. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

I just saw this on the BBC news and they said they were going to use outside tutoring agencies (I suppose like the ones such as Tut*l and Tutf**r), but it will be at the heads discretion and they'll get some sort of funding from the government to do it. But I reckon (like many of you think); they'll spend the money on something else and use TA's to do the job. Either way, the skeptic in me says it sounds very dubious and as per with this whole covid situation not well thought out. Watch and see if the proverbial hits the fan on this one folks! :eek:

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I agree - the money will be spent elsewhere and teachers will do 1 to 1 sessions with students in schools.

14. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

I think they would be better off giving the money to the parents. I think a lot of the parents would use this for tuition.

15. phatsals

I don't believe this will apply to every pupil. I can see it being similar in scope to the tutoring programme that ran a few years ago. In short, those who have fallen behind and need a boost to catch up with their cohort. In that programme it was 10 hours per child with the expectation of rapid progress. It worked, many caught up, only to fall behind again once the extra support was gone, then back on the programme again.

It wasn't long before schools caught on that an hour was too long - how about 45 mins thereby getting an additional pupil boosted, for every 3 get 4th one free. It was a flat rate of £25 ph plus 20% planning time.

It then morphed further to small group tuition, 2/3/4 children. The money went a long way.

16. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I think that's a bit unrealistic. They give parents vouchers for free school meals as, if they were given money, they don't trust the parents to spend it on food.

Abitofeverything likes this.
  17. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

From what I gathered from the education minister on BBC, this morning, it seems that 1/3 of the money will be earmarked for tuition for disadvantaged pupils (with this tuition coming from 'approved' agencies), and the remaining 2/3 of the money will be available to be used at the discretion of head teachers (based on guidelines provided by the government). I'm not sure whether the 1/3, 2/3 split is at school or national level...

18. briancant

looks to me like the government is just going to make £1 000 000 000 pounds disappear into thin air with no benefit. The irony is that those who it is supposed to help will end up paying for it over the course of their lives. I suspect a few tutoring and vetting agencies will cash in though.

lindenlea likes this.
  19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@briancant I'm inclined to agree with you. But they're damned if they do, damned if they don't. These are hard judgement calls to make and 21st century politicians don't appear to be equipped to make them.

20. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I love the Press and its incredible talent to know what 'schools' in the UK are doing.

32,770 schools

There are currently 32,770 schools in the UK. Of these, 3,714 are nurseries or early-learning centres, 20,832 are primary schools, 19 are middle schools and 4,188 are secondary schools. There are 2,408 independent schools, 1,257 special schools and 352 pupil referral units (PRUs).28 Oct 2019