1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Schools to build cheap housing for teachers on site

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Feb 2, 2019.

1. mainscaler

mainscaler New commenter

When I bought my first house in the 80's, I had two part time jobs on the side to supplement my teacher's salary. It meant that I was only able to work forty hours a week as a teacher. In those days it was a perfectly adequate amount of time to devote to the job, whereas nowadays, I would likely be on a capability for working those sorts of hours. It really is quite simple- working people in this country should be paid an adequate salary to buy a house- it is not unreasonable aspiration - even if we do have to work a bit of overtime in the process. I don't have a problem with not being paid overtime in teaching, but I do have a problem with being expected to put in unpaid overtime, when I could be supplementing my income to help pay a mortgage. However, I suspect that when Great Britain hits the buffers after March 29th, house prices will take a massive hit, which might mean a chance for those lucky enough to keep their jobs of getting a foothold in the housing market.

stonerose and mothergoose2013 like this.
  2. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

Bet that written into the tenancy agreements would be some 'light caretaking duties';)

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I bought my first house in the 80s but had to go out most evenings in the week to do private tuition to boost my income but I had the free hours after school to do it.

mainscaler, stonerose and agathamorse like this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It was in the catchment area. I might have lived there while I found my feet.
    In the nineties, the school I worked at had some accomodation on site that colleagues found useful for varying lengths of time. No "light caretaking duties" either. It was quite useful for visiting teachers from abroad.

stonerose likes this.
  5. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

I see it slightly differently. House price inflation has been allowed, encouraged even, by successive governments. Maggie's master stroke in the 80s was to make everybody a property speculator by allowing council houses to be sold off. This instantly reduced the housing available to normal working folk thus increasing prices. House builders then built homes for maximum profit which meant almost no council houses got built, further reducing availability of housing for normal working folk and pushing prices up even more. This has been allowed to continue. House builders are now deliberately restricting the supply of new housing to keep prices high and they are being allowed to get away with it. New developments only have token amounts of 'social' housing.

The problem is not low wages, it is property price inflation.

6. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

A large number of independent schools (boarding and day) have done this for years as a way of attracting recent University graduates / overseas teachers.

stonerose and agathamorse like this.
  7. Teslasmate

Teslasmate New commenter

I'm sure you are right. But apparently being disparaging about teaching is the reason it's so toxic. Oh, no, wait. That's mistaking cause and effect isn't it?

BTBAM85 and agathamorse like this.
  8. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

In the bad old days, the HTs of village schools lived in the school house.....

For single NQTs in particular this might be a good start - no hassle finding somewhere to live when you haven't yet saved for a rental deposit; no commuting costs; no time wasted in commuting; lower rent; better chance therefore of saving for a deposit. Quite right that there would need to be protections in all directions.

Shedman and stonerose like this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

Yes - lets hope teachers are never too scared to say it like it is :)

agathamorse and stonerose like this.
  10. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I love this. So darkly funny, the whole idea of it. So Dark Satanric Mills Academy Trust can have its slave staff crash into bed after their 14 hour shift and take up the warm beds of the exiting early breakfast club slaves! And imagine the fun they could have with capability...do what we say and clear off or we will evict you without notice as well...lovely!

11. Mrsmumbles

PSSST! WORKERS! Free on-site hovels now available at Satanic Mills Academy! Ideal for work-life imbalance! Apply now and avoid the slush! It’s what all our good little workers are talking about...
    5A2B40C2-9C6C-4956-8E3A-D2EE8FB4FD4C.jpeg

BTBAM85, agathamorse and install like this.
  12. Mrsmumbles

Oi! WORKERS! Jerusalem Academy Mistrust brings you...the deluxe educational facilitator-workers’ on-site residential commune! Yours for just all the wages we would have paid you plus no more pension (apart from the ‘mill boss trust’ of course)
    C09454DD-DE56-4B93-A0B2-F30C77610087.jpeg

BTBAM85, agathamorse and tonymars like this.
  13. adam_nichol

adam_nichol Occasional commenter

I'm a bit mixed on this. Concern over the justifiability of keeping wages suppressed as a result of this alternate perk. However....
    My wife used to teach at an Indep - boarding and day. They had onsite housing for staff (limited availability). Was used by many as an excellent springboard to save up to get somewhere local (south east property prices being what they are).
    Likewise, my Uni (Keele) offers campus housing for staff. You have to buy from and sell to the housing assoc. You have 2 choices - buy and sell at market rate, or buy at a rate from a previous decade (there are a list of options), but you have to sell back at the same rate.
    Vast swathes of graduates cannot afford anywhere to live. This would make teaching an attractive option (as a job, if not necessarily a career). And you'd not be obliged to continue living there as you move in with a partner, etc.

As someone said above, the issue is with the cost of housing. That's unlikely to ever decline, so we need to explore alternate solutions to accommodate (literally) the under 35s.

14. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

15. Mrsmumbles

I wouldn’t worry too much about affordability, going forward. Prices are dropping. Loads of ‘accidental landlords’ who have had five years decent rental return since their extortionately high BTL interest rates ended in 2011-2012 are now doing last-minute cosmetic improvements to their former homes and getting them listed for sale. They want them sold before lettings relief is axed next Spring, exactly the same time that Help to Buy also ends. So...hopefully good news for some younger tenants who have saved and had to do second jobs to grab together deposits. Hopefully some of these more financially prepared and ‘good to go’ renters can make lower but very convenient and attractive offers to their landlords on the flats or houses they currently rent. But sadly, I suspect that these mostly well -tended and nice properties run by smalltime landlords who offered great value and service to their only tenant will end up selling to the big property magnates, as they have the most resources to buy up. This lot will demolish, over tart up their new acquisitions and push up the tenants’ rents even more. Meanwhile, the so-called accidental,landlords, who now are actually very good and decent landlords, as they’ve been at it for years, will be priced out. Private residence relief is changing and leggings relief is going. Forty grand is too big a loss for smalltime landlords who would have liked to stay as they were, so they have already started selling. If these sorts of owners ever buy again, it will be for auction properties (watch out first time buyers!) with a freehold and extra bedrooms... buildings with more potential future equity. Quite possibly another accidental landlord’s offloaded place! It will become a bun fight and it’s bad news for tenants if the smalltime landlords all cash out around the same time. Reluctantly, the landlords lose their savings and investment property, often still located in areas local to them so they mostly provided good service to the tenants. A lot of these landlords just could not sell back in 2007-8, so were forced into BTL terms and paid whopping interest rates for three years or more in order to relocate and move on. They’ve had around seven years of steady growth, have gained an understanding of landlord law and obligations and don’t really want to sell up, but they will have to this year or next if they need to avoid the new charges coming in in 2020. Sadly, their tenants will very possibly soon face new owners and increased rents. And possibly eviction if Megabilders Incorporated buy out a whole block and want to redesign the lot. So...Chancellor Hammond stuffs it up again and the only winners will be the already solvent and debt free over 55s who can afford to hold onto their BTL for longer and aren’t worked about capital gains, so will keep receiving rent and delivering good service and who will leave their properties to family.....and those tenants lucky enough to buy direct from their landlords when prices start bombing or who can find a good deal elsewhere. I predict more big falls in London and the SE of England by this summer, heightening by next January. Hopefully our next generation of teachers can afford their own pads rather than shack up at work.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. mermaid

mermaid New commenter

Boarding schools use housing to improve recruitment at all levels. We have lived in school houses for 20 years. They have varied and some of the early ones were hovels, but we now have a beautiful, large 4 bed in the centre of a desirable town. We have always lived in houses we couldn't have afforded to buy. It's been good for us and probably kept my h in teaching through the darkest days.

17. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Haven’t read the thread. “on site” rofl

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  18. Mrsmumbles

I take it all back! Some school gaffs ARE a but luxe these days! Look at Quarry Bank Mills! They now offer holiday stays in the former worker dorms! National Trust chic! Flabbergasted...https://m.facebook.com/QuarryBankNT/