1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools to build cheap housing for teachers on site

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/ministers-mull-planning-rules-change-to-create-teacher-housing/

High property prices and stagnating pay has forced the government and a number of academy trusts to consider whether homes with a reduced rent for teachers should be provided on school sites.

This topic has come up a number of times previously but now is being explored by the DFE.
    • Who would want to live at their workplace? OK, new teachers may want some temporary housing until they get settled but as a permanent solution to recruitment?
    • If you move jobs you lose your home
    • You can't get away from colleagues you may not wish to associate with after school
    • Teachers are being Ghettoised
    • Subsidised housing is a good excuse for keeping teacher's pay low
    • It says little about the status of teaching that if you want to teach that you have to take such low pay you can't afford to house yourself
    • The solution is to make teaching a properly rewarded profession so that teachers can afford their own homes - flying pig alert!

2. Piscean1

Piscean1 Occasional commenter

No thanks. Parents knowing where I live?! They already have zero respect for professional boundaries and expect responses from our head on school social media in the middle of the night. Imagine them being able to come and knock on your door! :eek::eek:

If I can't afford a home for the hours I put in teaching, you're not paying me enough.

3. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

I smell a trap. Is a building firm about to be an academy sponsor?:eek:

4. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

No way. There would be no escape from the place! Even on weekends people would be seeing what you are doing. I can't afford to buy my own house but I'd rather rent somewhere than live with co-workers around every corner. They talk about work-life balance but this would completely cut out the life part.

5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

There'll be some backhanders somewhere along the line and somebody will be making a tidy profit, that's for sure.

6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Yes we're going to build houses on the playing fields to sell, oh and a block of flats for the teachers

7. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

You forgot to put the 'to rent' on the end of teachers!

8. install

install Star commenter

In my younger years, I used to live on site in a teacher house years past. Went home every dinner time - it was great. That is until I phoned in ill one day and got a knock at the door which I didn't answer. This was then followed by a phonecall from the ht asking why I wasn't answering my front door? :eek::eek::eek::eek: Guess we all have a different sense of boundaries...

9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

cheap or even free housing for a year or two for teachers to have the chance to save up for a deposit and get a mortgage sounds like an option that many of my colleagues would welcome. Some have worked towards their deposit for a decade or more, and still don't have it

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  10. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I find this very uncomfortable.

Are we heading to a place in which 'public sector' workers are effectively 'owned' by them and dependent on them ?

I think of the old industrialists who provided housing, health care and education for their workers but in that case, it was a step up from nothing. Now it's a step backwards from having the right to these things to behing beholden for them.

11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

for many teachers it would be step up from nothing. Many teachers are homeless

12. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

If you think the threat level from management is bad now, wait until they hold your home in their gift as well as your career.

13. install

install Star commenter

Teachers are the working poor. A promise of a low paid job with accomodation will have its own problems.:oops:

14. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Many teachers? Do you mean are not home owners or literally
    homeless?

15. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I mean literally homeless, in London where I work. On my corridor there are teachers in illegal sublets, teachers sofa surfing, teachers in lodgings which ban children so they are unable to start a family, and the biggest group of all, teachers who have had to move back in with their parents.

In a previous school there were two teachers living in their cars.

agathamorse and sparkleghirl like this.
  16. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Decades ago a family member rented a cheap house for teachers via the local authority. They paid a pound a month, extremely cheap even in the 70s, for an unmodernised old school house. They lived in it for two years and it gave them a chance to get on their feet financially and start saving for their own house. And, of course, they had no student debt beyond a bank overdraft. So, I think it would be a great idea. Perhaps time limited for up to five years.

Catgirl1964 and phlogiston like this.
  17. install

install Star commenter

Agree - I would change the word 'career' to 'job' though :eek:

18. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

This got me started back in the eighties. Many of my colleagues had also lived there!

stonerose, Shedman and install like this.
  19. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

But was it on the school site and would you have lived there if it was?

20. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

I twice lived in accommodation on the school premises (but only weekdays) - both independent schools. it was convenient for a fixed term contract.

stonerose and agathamorse like this.