1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools to be forced by law to give equal weighting to vocational and academic routes

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 25, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

The problem is that a whie ago the essage was that you need a unversity degree. Too much short term political interference helps no one. Can't see it changing however.

3. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I like the phrase "Ministers are plotting legislation" in the link, just sets the right tone.
    Why are they wasting parliamentary time on such a ridiculous reason? Why not just tell the schools? It's like the careers advice thing, there is no need for legislation. Training, yes but not legislation.

This government have completely lost the plot. Not only is there no sign of joined up thinking, there seems to be only one panic measure after another. And not just in education.

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

That was how it worked with LEAs, but now they have no easy means of communication.

However, perhaps it is a sop for a particular lobby group?

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Wonder how many government ministers will be boasting that their children have taken the vocational route? Rather than s Russell group university?

emerald52 likes this.
  6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Communication between Government and teachers has never been good.
    I remember the frustration a couple of decades ago of finding out what was expected via the newspapers. I remember the Labour Government introducing a range of newsletters that lets us know of plans a few months after I'd read about them in the TES or other papers.

The thing that irritates me is that academic and vocational are not equal. Some kids need an academic pathway, some kids need a vocational pathway. In addition, the Government has spitefully removed a good many of the 16+ vocational qualifications

7. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Nor, all too often, are such "requests" listened too if they do get the message through.
    In some cases the only way such an equal weighting would be given is if there was a similarly equal weighting given in the official "score-cards" for the school.
    Which wasn't the case last time I looked

That said it should be about what is best and most appropriate for the individual student......