1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools staying open Saturdays/cancelling summer holidays

Discussion in 'News' started by swishswosh, Apr 26, 2020.

1. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Seems like lots of people are being extra understanding about the situation. If you are the type of teacher who works more hours than you get paid for (most of us) then you may not feel too upset at the thought of working on Saturday instead of Monday. You may however be a person who looks at the clock every day at 4.00, closes the computer and goes home in which case you won't like the idea of a new time table of different times etc. Classes are going to be smaller, disruption to the usual state of affairs is inevitable so it's likely we will be asked to do things differently. i don't doubt my contract says all sorts of things about when and how i am supposed to work. That contract was written in a different world. It would be churlish of me to stand now waving the contract and demanding " normality."
    Given this, I entirely respect the choice of others and am grateful right now that my school still exists and the people i care about are still alive.

2. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

Absolutely!

I was one of the last two teachers standing, as our independent school was open for keyworker children. Sadly my head had to close as just not enough staff to monitor children safely!
    Now I am one of four, teachers, teaching full classes on Zoom, so far all of our children are attending. I'm then marking work, sent via email. I hardly had an Easter holiday as had to plan work & gather resources for classes that I wouldn't, ordinarily, teach. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying it, but I need my weekends & definitely will need my Summer holiday even if only to go and stay with my sister at the seaside where she lives :cool::)
    Also for anyone Furloughed, it isn't a holiday & you didn't choose it!!!

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Actually this is quite wrong: if your partner works Mon-Fri and you are told to work Saturdays, why should you only have one day a week with them? Nothing AT ALL to do with how seriously you take your job, how many extra hours you put in (running clubs, trips etc).

4. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

And what about activities that normally run on a Saturday, DofE and CCF? Do they get scrapped?

install and blushingberry like this.
  5. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice Occasional commenter

It is clear that schools cannot go back ‘to normal’ until a vaccine is in place. Therefore, there will have to be new and innovative ways of doing things.

From what I’m hearing, the most likely scenario is to split classes in two. You’d then have half of the students in Monday- Wednesday and the rest Thursday- Saturday.

I believe shortening holidays to around 6-8 weeks per year is also being looked at to make up for the learning time missed.

Clearly, working 6 days a week and having fewer holidays is going to be a big change for staff. But I think we all have a duty to our students and to the country to do our bit to help during this difficult time.

I’m afraid I cannot see any realistic prospect of pay increase or such, and I think it is not an appropriate juncture for staff to be demanding these. The government is facing enormous financial demands and pressures.

In any event, I suspect most teachers are not working their full contracted hours at the moment, so the extra work in future would simply be a case of making up time.

6. rchampion1234

rchampion1234 New commenter

agathamorse likes this.
  7. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

It is of course, impractical to open schools through the summer in order to " catch up ", though i doubt that many holiday makers will be sipping a beer in Barceloneta. It may be necessary, however to be creative with time tables in September and the success of this will depend wholly on how willing staff are to accept that things have changed. Given that in England we have had 2 weeks of holiday in a lock down of 5 weeks -students have " missed" 3 weeks of being in school. As of now, not entirely great but not catastrophic. Classroom learning is a small but important part of school but it's not the only thing kids are missing out on. My concern is their mental health upon return.

blushingberry, agathamorse and Lalad like this.
  8. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

The usual controversial tripe we have come to expect from you, intended to provoke aghast responses

9. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I'm afraid that, given 'the duty we all have to our students and to the country to do our bit to help during this difficult time', your proposals are nowhere near what is neededo_O

Clearly, holidays will have to be reduced to 2 - 3 weeks per year or even less, and why on earth shouldn't teachers work 7 days a week, particularly as we know all teachers are lazy, work-shy layabouts contributing exponentially to the 'enormous financial demands and pressures' facing the governmento_O?

As for the prospect of a pay increase, absolutely not - I'm sure teachers would be queueing up to work for reduced pay, or even no pay at allo_O

Obviously, this would be a big change for staff who are currently sitting around with their feet up at home doing nothing, but I'm sure they wouldn't mindo_O

10. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

Back at you, Lalad!

blushingberry and Lalad like this.
  11. blushingberry

blushingberry New commenter

Yes, yes, working less than 16 hours a day and being unwilling to be directed to work weekends and holidays make us terrible teachers. It's a job, not our life.

Sally006, Catgirl1964, Lalad and 3 others like this.
  12. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Erm... that's still only 5 days a week at school - why open schools on Saturday but have Monday off? Or, are you thinking John can work Mon, Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri; and Janet can work Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri, Sat; and Peter can work every other Monday?

Children will be over the moon.

Sally006 and Catgirl1964 like this.
  13. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

Did the Bankers do a 6 day week when the public bailed them out? Not talking about a few hours on a Saturday that they do, I'm talking about the whole banking system! You need to get real, the Unions will never allow your suggestions to be the new norm.

blushingberry and agathamorse like this.
  14. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

Why didn't I think of a 6 day week for Teachers? What a Star!!!!

15. BW12345

BW12345 Star commenter

On Newsnight
    "Former Ofsted Chief Inspector Sir Michael Wilshaw says teachers may have to work weekends and evenings to remedy the impact of school closures. He says “if that doesn’t happen, I can see no alternative but to repeat a year” for some pupils. "
    Idiot seems to have forgotten they already do...

agathamorse and Sally006 like this.
  16. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice Occasional commenter

I don’t think it’s so much about remedying the impact as it is about providing any education at all.

Having hundreds/thousands of staff and students in a school cannot happen until we have a vaccine.

There will therefore have to be provision put in place to ensure that children can receive half a week’s education in school and half online.

That will necessitate teachers working 6 days a week, including during holidays. Potentially longer hours will be the norm for teachers each day as those working online will need to be taken care of simultaneously.

To be frank, millions of people will be losing their jobs so teachers should be grateful they have one that is secure and well-paid.

I do not foresee it being difficult to find well-qualified, educated replacements from the ranks of the newly unemployed if some decide to move on as a result of the new working conditions.

17. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

Is this the same Micheal Wilshaw who said "Teachers should complain less about their work load"?? The same Michael Wilshaw who used to earn almost £200,000 a year to do his long hours????

18. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

If schools open then the parents are going back to work. What about family life for those families during their weekends? What about teachers who have families too. It’s hard enough doing the normal 5 days a week to fit in any time for our loved ones, heaven forbid a 6 day week!! It’s nonsense. It won’t happen. The changes we need to talk about in terms of coping with “deficits” is a change of expectation. This just has to be. We have already been talking about teachers picking up from the mid point of the previous year. No SATs next year, no assessments based on usual end of KS criteria. I fully accept that GCSE and A’Level students are a concern but surely grades will be adjusted. Are they not “normative” assessments?

19. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Unreserved apologies to all those who have seen my post on possible solutions to working when we return as an assault on normal routines. I do not mean that they should be implemented but rather hold that the best way out of this is to try and offer solutions rather than continue to point out problems.

20. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

Students have lost 3 weeks of teaching (if they gained absolutely nothing from all our remote teaching efforts) and may lose a few more. Am I the only one who considers this length of time rather trivial when compared to their whole education?
    I rather suspect that some of my learners will return with greater maturity and independence. Certainly many have submitted work which is no worse than I would have expected from them in class.