1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools staying open Saturdays/cancelling summer holidays

Discussion in 'News' started by swishswosh, Apr 26, 2020.

1. swishswosh

swishswosh New commenter

Hi there,
    I just listened to an interview on the TV which suggested that schools in Scotland could reopen with groups doing Monday/Wednesday/Friday or Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday.
    Obviously this is only a suggestion and may not happen. Also I am in England so things may or may not be different here. However, it got me thinking - if it did go ahead can we be told to work six day weeks?!
    Also, if they decide to cancel the summer holidays to help children catch up - can we be told that we have to work in the classroom to cover that? If we can, will we get paid more at the very least since it is far over and above our contract?
    In many ways I would support cancelling the holidays, although I wouldn't like it, because as a teacher and a parent I can see that online learning simply can't compare to being in the classroom. If they just told us to close school right now and then restart in July/August I would go along with it without a fuss.
    However, I am working very hard to provide online learning right now while simultaneously trying to homeschool my own children. I do not want that to seamlessly segue into classroom teaching all the way through to December without a break.
    What would our rights be in this case?

Happyregardless and agathamorse like this.
  2. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I would be very interested in who was talking about the way schools could work in the future. It would also be nice to know what channel it was on.

Such changes would require negotiation.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

I dont think that would be a wise idea.
    1. Whose booked holdiays for the summer? (both teachers and parents)
    2. childcare implications for teachers
    3. It would create an incredibly long term yes you had a long break beforehand but would you not end up with a 20(ish week) term if your working six days a week as a teacher i fear you would start having incredible burnout.
    4. They are essentially saying the work they are provided with now is useless so why are we doing it?
    5. Also isnt teachers pay pro rata and therefore would they not have to pay us extra.
    6. Id love spending my august in a baking hot classroom where windows dont open.

rchampion1234 and agathamorse like this.
  4. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

6 would now probably have far more serious implications for your health than it would have done before...I have been told independents are planning to do this (some-I know of some indy heads who have said they will not be reopening at all until they think it's safe-they shut some time before state schools did) but I'd imagine the unions wouldn't be happy about mainstream teachers working in the holidays. As for booked holidays, surely most will be cancelled anyway?

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Its not happening, the government has already said its not happening

6. Corvuscorax

no one is going to school 3 days a week. "opening schools" in Europe has meant 8 students in a room at a time, and no break or lunch, no leaving their seat, and a very short day.

So 1 or 2 half days a week each

agathamorse likes this.
  7. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Other than babysitting the children of key workers, what would be the point of that?

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Corvuscorax

I suppose to see and speak to and feedback to students directly.

Split the class into 4, have each quarter in a separate room, have one maths teacher, one English teacher, one science teacher, one french teacher rotate around the rooms for half an hour each?

If you have 2 classes in in the morning, and 2 in the after noon, and 8 teachers, that is say 60 children getting 2 hours teaching each in a day.

yes, I would say it was worth it

carolineinstructor likes this.
  9. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I agree that it would be worth it. But students cannot possibly be expected to pass exams like this.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Corvuscorax

no, I expect we would have to make the exams easier, then they might get a special GCSE-21, say , instead of a GCSE, and employers would understand that they did an easier exam because they did not have access to schools that year.

11. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Posters keep referring to people having booked summer holidays. I really can't see any holidays going ahead this summer.

Rott Weiler and Sally006 like this.
  12. blushingberry

blushingberry New commenter

The government have said people who are unable to take their normal holiday entitlement due to covid must be allowed to carry it over and take it in the next two years. To apply this, but not to teachers, would surely be discriminatory.

What people intend to do during the break is irrelavent - the point is its a break from work, and does not fall within ghe days we are paid for.

13. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I think we all need to revise our concepts of what a " working week" will look like. Saturday school seems logical to me. As long as a 2 day break is there for all concerned. I work in a state school and it's always open on Saturdays for events, detentions and sports.

14. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

So, you work in a maintained school and it is open on Saturdays for detention. Who supervises those detentions - surely not teachers working under the STPCD/Burgundy book? Perhaps, you work for an academy chain who have devised their own terms and conditions of employment for teachers?

15. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

The exam grades are decided on a bell curve, after the papers are marked, so if everyone does really well the marks for each grade is higher if they do badly its lower. So surely making the exams easier wouldnt make much difference..

16. blushingberry

blushingberry New commenter

Well my contract, and many others, explicitly state I cannot be required to work weekends. If even we, as teachers, won't stand up for our own employment rights, it's not surprising the public think we are slaves of the state and will just do whatever we are told, regardless. I've even read about members of the public suggesting we are redeployed as care workers because aren't working at he moment.

Yes, others are forfeiting bookng holidays, but they will book them later by government directive. We can't.

Yes, others are working extra hours but they are being paid overtime. We aren't.

Why? We have fostered a lack of respect by working for free.

17. Corvuscorax

Thats true. And if students miss out on a lot of schooling next academic year, then employers are just going to have to understand the the GCSE grades are going to representing a lower level of achievement than previous l or subsequent years.

18. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If it isn't safe to go camping in Wales (or similar) then it isn't safe for schools to be open.
    Oooo now...I could be persuaded to work this summer if I could carry over the 6 weeks to, say, Jan/Feb 2021...I could go and visit a friend in NZ in their summertime. :)

blushingberry, agathamorse and Ro13 like this.
  19. Corvuscorax

If holidays can't go ahead this summer, then schools can't open. if schools can open, then they can't open because holidays can go ahead.

20. SteveWoodhouse

SteveWoodhouse Occasional commenter