1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools 'should help children with social media risk' - compulsory lessons in Y6 & Y7?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by FrankWolley, Jan 4, 2018.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

No need to be rude.

Perhaps I should report your post, eh? ;)

2. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I've just done a pshe topic on internet safety, which included social media. I quite liked it and the kids seemed to take the message on board. Mostly it was about the importance of telling a trusted adult if something was making them uncomfortable, be that content that was being shared or people talking to them. Another part was to do with what information is safe to share, like no pictures of their school uniform or anything that might give away their home address or personal info someone could use to pretend to be a friend. And there was a bit about what pictures or information it's safe to share, like getting someone's permission to post pictures of them, not forwarding stuff that other people had sent them that might cause problems for themselves or others, and obviously being careful about what pictures of you you forward to other people, because they can be forwarded on to others.
    It also included stuff about choosing sensible passwords, the importance of privacy settings. And lastly fact checking things they see online and some advice about avoiding hoaxes, viruses, scams or other stuff that might cause security issues.

All in all, I thought it was worthwhile. It neither promoted nor demonised social media, and certainly didn't focus on teaching them how to use luxury goods (there was no hands, on using technology lessons involved at all) but treated it as something they're inevitably going to engage with at some point in their lives so something they should have some reliable information about.

I'm all in favour of parents taking the lead role in making sure their kids are safe on the internet but this is new technology for a lot of us and we never grew up with twitter and Facebook so have never really seen it through a youngsters eyes. Its different for them and I'm learning about how my nearly teen son views it as I go along and even as a parent who actively polices my kid's internet access, I'm not a gamer or really that active in social media so I'm constantly struggling to keep up with new platforms or ways systems are being abused that I don't find out about because they're not aimed at me. So yeah, I do appreciate schools, who might have more info, chipping in to keep gaps in knowledge filled and reinforce the messages that boring old mum, who's a complete dinosaur and just doesn't understand, keeps banging on about.

DrResource and FrankWolley like this.