1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools should be fined for illiteracy!

Discussion in 'English' started by tall tales, Mar 27, 2012.

1. tall tales

tall tales New commenter

Don't know whether to laugh or cry. How about politicians being fined for utter stupidity?

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

That would cure the recession in one fell swoop!
    I particularly like the idea that we should put the onus on "schools and parents" to fix it all... not "parents and schools" then?!

3. Interesting discussion in our staffroom today. Our kids have often attended more than half a dozen schools by the time they leave year 11 and many of them began their education in a country other than the UK. Hmmmmm...to fine all of the schools involved the full amount? Or split it among them equally? Have other governments signed a 'literacy treaty' allowing the UK government to fine their schools if a pupil leaves year 11 unable to read 'properly'?
    Some food for thought there...

4. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

As far as I can gather a school will be fined (yeah - like it'll ever really happen) if a pupil leaves with low or absent literacy levels. So it'll be the last school they attended.

5. Typical. A serious issue that we need to look at and the government/ press need to go OTT which makes us forget the difficult issues at heart! Literacy levels are a worry. Fining schools is not going to help anything!
    PS Although fining SLT that send home letters/ presentations with spelling and grammatical mistakes...now that is a different issue!

6. Who came up with this, then? The great chinless Gove again? Schools need more resources to help the functionally illiterate, not fines to deprive them of finance.

7. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I'd give you a prize if the answer weren't so bloody obvious.

8. According to the BBC, schools [or rather English teachers] are responsible for the riots last summer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17525925