1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

schools set to open in phases?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Happyregardless, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

Even if there is evidence to support the view that kids are not spreaders of the virus (I’m not convinced at all) you fail to appreciate that when a primary school opens in walks a whole host of adults. Parents bring kids to school and collect them. Whole staff (not just teachers) will come from different households where they live with other adults who also maybe going back to work alongside other adults etc. At the moment “emergency school” for key workers limits the numbers of adults and children coming in, precisely to minimise adult to adult exposure in addition to child to adult.

You are clearly someone who has never worked in a primary school and have no clue about how they operate. I believe I got it from kids in my class who returned from China with persistent coughs end of January. I had all the main symptoms and even posted about this on the old Coronavirus thread (now locked). My young teenage son became ill not long after me with cough, temperature and had this unusual reaction in the form of an extreme “measles type” rash which lasted for 2 months! Of course I cannot ever know for sure. Maybe we just had another virus and it was nothing to do with the kids who flew back from China. Adults do get all sorts from kids. We know this. I simply do not believe that with all this virus about kids, whose hygiene is never that good, mysteriously don’t spread this one. We know kids have had it. There are concerns about some extreme reactions to it in children. I do think most children have it less severely in most cases and I do believe many are asymptomatic. They data needed just isn’t there yet. It’s too soon for such assumptions. What this Swiss Prof is basing his theories on I do not know.

School will have to re-open in a staggered way, even primaries and to do so we need small numbers. It is the only way. Personally, I think this is a long way off. Numbers of deaths are not falling low or quickly enough. We are not Far enough down from the peak and I doubt we will be for weeks yet. Personally I think we are looking at some trial openings in June/July at the earliest. Very possibly this will not be until September.

Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

As far as I can see, the Government are very aware of the dangers of a second wave. I read their language as attempting to put off the folk who "want the schools back tomorrow so everyone can go back to work".
    There you are - a post from me in support of our Government! You can do it P!

3. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

It presents like Kawasaki disease: that does not mean it is. Rapid medical intervention is key and anyone who works with, or has young children, needs to be aware of the symptoms. Just as we do with meningitis and measles.

dumpty and Sally006 like this.
  4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

So as you then say - reduce the numbers:

So just keep it up. Tighten it up.

When has any adult just been allowed to come in and walk as they please in any school, let alone primary? It is not just 'at the moment' and extending the level of distance to visiting adults is extremely easy on return.

Teaching is not my main profession but I have worked in all types of schools and with all types of schools across the entire planet. I am always reporting that primary schools in the UK are cluttered, hot and dusty and far, far too many kids inside the rooms (often with low ceilings). Perfect breeding grounds for ANY virus.

Was always so - with the Covid virus teachers were arguably at most risk in the 2 months before lockdown, certainly a month before. Sure, there is a risk but it was there before and it will be there after the lockdown.

Well the data we also have does back him up but sure, he has taken it to the next level with the claim they cannot spread the disease. Has there been a case of a child getting and giving it to a teacher in the schools open now?

I agree and this is why I encourage teachers to be more part of the plan than just moan and say no to everything. Now is the time to get rid of the clutter, fewer in class and better airflow - ye Gods some schools here still have asbestos in the structure, how the hell is that not a concern?

Teaching never was, is or will be a risk free profession re virus spreads due to the horrible indoors climate and yes, overcrowding. However, with this virus the children (particularly primary )are low risk and measures can be taken to help social distancing and fewer adults around.

It won't be perfect and the risk will remain. But it was always so.

I actually feel there is no better time for teachers to get things changed for the better and crucially for the good but there seems a resistance to do so, rather a perplexing belief extending the lockdown is some kind of 'cure' or guarantee it will be fine in September rather than June.

Yoda- likes this.
  5. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

We stopped visitors before lockdown but I wasn’t referring to them it was parents coming to collect and drop off their kids. How are we to manage that? Have them spaced out 2 m apart, Sainsbury’s style down the road?

Yes, I’m still working under a low grade asbestos ceiling. It was due to be removed this summer - fat chance now.

Children were definitely considered spreaders when we locked down. This was the whole point of keeping schools open for key workers - to spare the grandparents the childcare. So now they have been away and not spreading where is the data coming from to prove they don’t - they haven’t over the last 6 weeks because they haven’t been there!! Are you suggesting we open up the primaries, “why wouldn’t we” as you say, to test it out? So if it fails loads of primary staff become ill then we will know and spare the secondary school teachers. Thanks!

6. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Established commenter

It shows nothing of the sort. It simply shows that the department is considering how best to make progress in a rational way at some point in the future when the time is right, and that the method eventually adopted is likely to include the opening of schools in stages rather than all at once.

What your post does show is, IMO, a rather childish attitude, and as I don't think it contributes in any helpful way to a difficult and complex debate, I wonder why you made it.

7. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

agathamorse likes this.
  8. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Reduce numbers, ask parents to come alone will help. Drip feed the children to their parents over the last ten minutes or so, for example. It won't be risk free but this is not an area that can mean we refuse re-opening.

That is truly awful and you have my sympathy.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11513344/no-case-child-passing-coronavirus-to-adult-scientists-say/

(Yes, is a tabloid but they are quoting respected sources)

This aside from what the Swiss top brains now say.

More that the government will prefer to get some data before the cushion of summer break. Whether it will 'fail' or not no-one knows and sure, I can appreciate you and others are worried it will.

I do not see any real reason to believe it will though and especially if we keep up as many safety measures as possible.

Jonntyboy likes this.
  9. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Do we really believe thing will be carefully phased in?
    I just don't believe it.

dumpty likes this.