1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

schools set to open in phases?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Happyregardless, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Sky News = schools set to reopen?

Education Secretary Gavin Williamson ( also known as *******) says that when the time is right, schools across England would reopen in a "phased" way.
    Shows what they think of teachers and school staff really?lol :eek:

2. Tinyreader

Tinyreader New commenter

Surely this is what we want? Of course they will need to open in phases. We can’t possibly have all students back in at once.

3. WB

WB Lead commenter

I don't have a problem with this.

Providing it really is done when the time really is right.

What would else would you have liked?

4. Happyregardless

Yes it wil be interesting to see how they handle it?
    What I would like? Hmmm

Education secretaries that have actually been teachers/taught in schools and not just pontificators?
    Teachers and school staff not treated with contempt and they health and wellbeing not being put at risk? For a start...

seashell0 and Catgirl1964 like this.
  5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

In Switzerland they are now allowing kids under 10 to be with elders, their research says this age group pose close to zero risk. Our own stats do indeed indicate primary school children having close to nothing to fear from getting the virus - and they do not seem to much, either.

It is probably to early to get data from Denmark (who has kids back in stages) but the Swedes do not seem overly concerned, either.

From a government's pov (and teachers) yes - there IS and always will be a risk in sending people back.

But with primary school kids it is not contempt, it is more hard to find reasons not to send them back.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52470838

The health ministry's infectious diseases chief Daniel Koch said scientists had concluded that young children did not transmit the virus.

Happyregardless likes this.
  6. drvs

drvs Star commenter

A blend of remote and in-school learning. That should help with workload in poorly led schools :rolleyes:

Happyregardless and Catgirl1964 like this.
  7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Do you think that would help regarding making the decision of when and how to start reopening schools?

I'm not a fan of the UK government and, in any case, live in Scotland but I think the message is clear: schools are not reopening anytime soon and when they do reopen,they will not reopen to all pupils straight away.

8. Happyregardless

Maybe not - maybe I'm completely wrong ? I think yes it would help someone qualified, at least as a teacher to be Education secretary, generally, maybe not with just reopening schools, but with some insight into what it involves being a teacher, instead of just driving spin and doing a polished 'PR' job to make it look to parents like the government are 'doing something'? Would you have a minister for medical services to advise doctors, who did not have experience in this field?

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  9. WB

WB Lead commenter

I'm not disagreeing with those points.

But in relation to the matter in hand - getting children back into school - what is it you disagree with in the statement, " when the time is right, schools across England would reopen in a phased way."

10. Happyregardless

Nothing with that statement WB - Just the rhetoric behind it which is on the one hand urging everyone to 'stay home, save the NHS, save lives' but on the other hand suggesting schoolls will be open very soon. the phase sounds very 'fair and level headed' in delivery I suppose - I think it remains to be seen how the goverment interprets this - something we will all see unfold possibly sooner than later i feel...

WB likes this.
  11. WB

WB Lead commenter

I'm with you on that.

12. Happyregardless

Also, having just seen this myself - it seems the Government's chief medical officer (and surrounding staff etc) are still unclear about several aspects of spreading infection in regards to children and Coronavirus, Dumpty:

https://www.tes.com/news/open-schools-would-increase-infection-how-much
    on 27th April:

"There is "no doubt" that opening schools would increase the spread of coronavirus, the chief medical officer for England said today.

Speaking at the government's daily briefing, Professor Chris Whitty said that, while scientists are "still really learning" how children influence "the actual spread of this virus", pupils being at school "certainly contributes" to an increased rate of infection.

He added that the government is "getting closer" to establishing to what extent sending children back to school could push up the infection rate."

So nonone's really sure - but teachers can be guinea pigs perhaps...

dumpty likes this.
  13. Nimstar

Nimstar New commenter

"But last week, Geoff Barton, leader of the ASCL head teachers' union suggested that Years 6, 10 and 12 might go back first, with 1 June the earliest realistic date"

I can see the rationale for Y10 and 12 but why year 6 ... surely Year 5 would be better?

SteveWoodhouse and agathamorse like this.
  14. thin_ice

thin_ice Occasional commenter

Perhaps Y6 would benefit from some transition work and doing something towards a kind of leaving event. Also, could be the last time they are all together in school.

phlogiston likes this.
  15. bessiesmith2

bessiesmith2 New commenter

phlogiston likes this.
  16. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

How about starting with an Ofsted inspector who has taught? Or even a headteacher/principal/service leader who is an experienced teacher?
    Although this isn't really about teaching-you wouldn't need to have taught to realise that schools should be the last service to reopen. Anyone who has ever been to a UK school should realise that it would be impossible to 'distance' pupils or to enforce handwashing. So what I'd like is an assurance that we won't send pupils back until we have reliable treatment (or prevention), especially now GPs are warning that children are much more at risk than we'd once thought.

Sally006 and Catgirl1964 like this.
  17. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

You've not seen the latest NHS England urgent advice to GPs, then. There are indications that small numbers of children are becoming very ill with a toxic-shock like infection which presents as a rash, high temperature and stomach ache. Any child diagnosed with those symptoms must be admitted to ITU immediately. So far this illness is confined to London and some other large cities. And, some of the patients have tested positive for Covid-19 infection. Children in Italy and Spain have also been treated for this, as yet unnamed, illness.

Let's hope this isn't a mutation.
    BBC News - Kawasaki-like disease: Coronavirus risks for children https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52003804

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  18. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

In short, we don't know because the facts are still coming in and there's no decision.
    Meanwhile I'd expect every school to be making plans for a variety of possibilities - the longer that schools remain closed the more important it will be to ramp up remote teaching and learning, and the more imortant it will be to plan to fill gaps once classes resume. I'd expect outline plans to be developed for a variety of return dates and return phasing.

19. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Ah for me it is more of interest how opinions are made and change - and yes, how difficult it is for us to know exactly what is going on or best to do.

The illness you refer to is also under discussion and there is disagreement about it being linked to the virus, not least as it has been here since the 60s:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04...s-it-linked-coronavirus-in-australia/12197008

(If you scroll down they offer an opinion on the link - it is though, as you say, a tad cryptic)

20. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I don't think that those two statements connect much.
    It depends on "when the time is right" which has always been the case.

Except that unless alternative childcare facilities are open, many people cannot go back to work. By definition, we cannot be the last facility to reopen. And yes, I know and accept that we're regarded as childminders by some.
    And yes, I'm vulnerable but will have to accept the choice of no job or facing the risk at some point. Fortunately, I work 1:1 for the most part.