1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School's open evening and meeting parents!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by bumble-bee89, Jun 9, 2011.

1. I'm starting a Year 1 job in September and I've been invited to meet the parents in an open meeting. I understand that this would involve answering questions etc however I'm a bit worried that as a young NQT I might not know all the answers straight away!
    What sort of concerns have parents discussed on these kinds of evenings? And what can I do to prepare?
    Thanks!

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Well, the school shouldn't expect you to be meeting parents alone and answering questions about their children! Not unless you've been doing your final placement with the same class and are taking them up from Reception.
    Parents discuss all kinds of things at parents evenings, but usually a first meeting is just to touch base. To prepare, just have a list of the children's names next to which you can jot anything of note (like how nice the parents seem - or not!).
    If they ask things like how long you've been teaching, just say this will be your first year in this school and leave it at that.
    Do call the school and ask for confirmation about what is expected of you, although I think it'll just be a "hello, I'll be X's new teacher"-type thing.
    The parents shouldn't be bringing their concerns to you if you're not the children's teacher!