1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools in Singapore, France, Dubai, Spain, Thailand, Canada, Portugal

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by afarry138, Apr 7, 2012.

1. I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about some of the schools currently advertising, including: a school in Lyon, a Dubai college beginning with J, a Thai school named after a Shropshire town, chinese sounding school in Singapore named HC, UK council in Madrid, a Vancouver international school named after a saint P, international school in Oporto.
    Thank you!!

2. I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about some of the schools currently advertising, including: a school in Lyon, a Dubai college beginning with J, a Thai school named after a Shropshire town, chinese sounding school in Singapore named HC, UK council in Madrid, a Vancouver international school named after a saint P, international school in Oporto.
    Thank you!!

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, the International Schools' Review can tell you a lot about these schools.

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Hippo, are you on a retainer from ISR? You seem to mention them at every opportunity.

5. That seems like a mighty varied list! I'm afraid I can't help, but want to ask if you are waiting on an interview result from the J Dubai school? Also would be grateful if anyone had information on said school. ISR unlikely to have info considering it's only expanding this year.

6. Haven't submitted application for Dubai job yet. ISR doesn't have anything on any of schools above except the Thia school.

7. Karvol

The ISR is not the "bible" when it comes to schools. All it is is a home for malcontents who wish to vent their anger towards institutions who had the temerity to bring them up on their failings and fire them.
    Interspersed within all this are occasional tales of very real misrepresentation and fraud.
    It is, though, rather like looking for a needle in a haystack.

8. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Bit of an over-reach here. I have found that many, many reviews correspond quite closely to the accounts that I have heard from teachers that have actually worked at those schools. Of course there will always be a fair amount of axes being ground on any anonymous Internet forum.

9. Karvol

Point taken and criticism accepted as valid!
    The issue I have with ISR - and I was a member for a year - is that it is an open forum for abuse.

10. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Er, may I suggest sending an aplication in for schools/countries you are interested in working/living in and then wait and see who has an interest in you. It is quite rare that the employee is that spectacular that he can call the shots and the weighting is with the employers who have bundles of applications to sort through. Perhaps then you could pop back on here and ask some more specific questions when you have that first interview and the whole process has become real.
    As an example I sent in about 28 applications and emailed every school in my 'target' country seeking immediate opportunities, before landing three interviews from which I was offered two jobs. I could tell you about the dream I had to go to Japan and how excited me and the wife became, but that initial enthusiastic email from the head never went anywhere and we wasted countless hours online.

11. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

No, I am not paid a fee for recommending the ISR. No, I do not believe that the ISR is infallible. Yes, quite a lot of the reviews on the ISR are just one person's individual opinion and someone else who had been working at the same school and at the same time might have had quite different impressions.
    Having said all of that, what sources of reliable and accurate information about different schools around the world do teachers have? Not many. Of course you can always look at the school's own website, but will that give you a clear, trustworthy and honest view of what it is like to work at that particular school? Of course not.

12. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

applied twice not even thanks but no thanks email. Received insider information to say it was focussed on standards and results.
    went for an interview there 2 years ago. Great location, great school and slightly above average Spanish salaries. Offered the job but refused as they only accept fluent Spanish speakers into their cohort so my DS couldn't attend.

13. HC is one of the 'top schools in Singapore' ie extremely good at producing high Singapore O level or A level (depending upon which incarnation you are thinking of) results. They will be demanding, and there may not be air conditioners in the classrooms (ask), but you will love having students who are all extremely high achievers and well behaved.