1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools in Bath

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MissSea, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Hi.
    I'm considering relocating from Kent to Bath and wondered what the Primary schools are like in the area, in particular Reception and Years 1 & 2. I'm asking as both a NQT & mother of two (one who's already at Infant school and another starting next year). Would love to hear from anyone with inside information! Thanks.

2. Hi.
    I'm considering relocating from Kent to Bath and wondered what the Primary schools are like in the area, in particular Reception and Years 1 & 2. I'm asking as both a NQT & mother of two (one who's already at Infant school and another starting next year). Would love to hear from anyone with inside information! Thanks.

3. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Hello! I have taught in Bath for the last 8 years so feel free to ask any questions after reading the message below!
    Bath is a beautiful place and the majority of schools have high-achieving pupils with supportive parents. A lot of parents and children have very privileged lifestyles and a wide range of experiences.
    However, there are also pockets of deprivation in high contrast to the leafy-village feel of the aforementioned schools. These schools mainly serve two large estates on the North-West of Bath. There is a higher-than-average proportion of free school meals and special needs in the schools serving this area.
    Housing is expensive to buy and rent within Bath itself. It is a small city so houses and flats are in high demand. There are towns and villages within commuting distance that are much cheaper.
    Teaching jobs, particularly primary jobs, are very, very hard to come by. I know one recently-trained teacher (and a very good one, too) who applied for 200 jobs before landing a fixed-term one-year contract. Bath Spa University has a teacher-training programme so there are many new teachers look for local jobs. Competition is high.
    I hope this has been helpful and not too depressing!

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hiya, I went to Uni in Bath and did my teacher training there. I agree with the other poster above who says that teacher posts are incredibly hard to come by. Not only are you up against qualified teachers but you will have the Bath Spa trainees, many of whom could have been placed in the schools you are applying for! I applied for one position outside of Bath and got a letter back saying they'd had 300 applicants! Hence why immediately after finishing university, I moved away! Sorry.

Also, while Bath is very affluent, there are again, areas which are incredibly deprived and a complete contrast, so really it's a bit of a mixed bag.

5. Thank you both for your very helpful replies. I heard from my tutor at uni that anywhere in England west of Bath is pretty much a closed shop for applicants elsewhere in the country & reading this I can see why! Is it as difficult to get supply work (so moving to the area & getting to know the schools) while applying for a permanent post / fixed term contract? I assume that it's this difficult to get a job in the schools in the surrounding area, not just central Bath?