1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools giving staff days off for birthdays and xmas shopping...are some people on the same planet?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by The Red Heron, Jan 20, 2011.

1. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

What a hero going in on your day off! Maybe go in during one of the 170 days holiday since we get so many. Oh right, yeah we already do. Those claiming we get 170 days off then need to reassess this number don't they??!!

Long live Christmas shopping days!

2. sarahmilly

sarahmilly New commenter

I too go into school in the holidays, work in the evenings and on the weekends... but I knew that when I went for the job! I get many more holidays than my friends who work out of education and know what a good deal I am on! I really don't need, nore feel that I should get, a shopping day!

3. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

A friend of mine works for the NHS in a job that is on a similar pay scale to teaching and comes with a similar level of responsibilty. She gets much less annual leave than me but she can take it whenever she wants and consquently is often jetting off on nice holidays I can't afford because I am limited to going away during the school holidays. She also gets evenings and weekends to herself and gets to switch off from work entirely and do as she likes at these times. However I still feel very lucky during the summer holidays when she is working and I'm enjoying six weeks off. No job is perfect and I think there would be pros and cons to any career. I Know it's sad but I tend to make a good start on my Christmas shopping during October half term!!

4. i always do that - ho hum! it works as long as you remember where you've put things [​IMG]

5. Crikey you guys are late - I'm normally done by the start of October! (Hate shopping so tend to do it wellllll in advance)

6. think we're all agreed Mr Primary x is a total pra.t

7. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Oh oh sticks and stones. Sniff sniff sobb sobb. My feelings are hurt. I will cheer myself up on my shopping day.

8. well not for another 9 months will you? I dont think youre for real...the profession hasn't yet plumbed the depths to employ individuals like you surely?

9. I can't blame him for taking it off, it reflects some appreciation of his head for the work he does all year long, for heaven's sake, if it's offered then what are you going to do? I bet no-one on here has never taken a sick day either when they know deep down they could make it into school? Morals smorals you're all jealous or lying. As for pra.t I think we can all agree it's ****! For god's sake man have the balls to write it properly!

10. Two user names then? how clever..just be aware its against t and c s and Ive just emailed the moderators alerting them to this thread
    Does the fact that 99% of the people on here disagree with you not make you think at all?

11. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Err, no. I haven't. Why would you? Are you actually an adult? The appreciation for a good year's work would be the 13 weeks holiday we get.

I think the reason people write pra.t is because not all insulting words show up on this forum.

12. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

That's fine. Email who you like. People accused myself of throwing my toys out of the pram when in fact you have done this. Someone agrees with me and so it is obviously me using another name. Perhaps you missed your calling and should be working down in Scotland Yard. Do you email the moderators every time you disagree with someone?

13. No not at all, just when theres some wind up merchant on here who have no purpose at all but to spout complete incoherently nonsense
    You are totally wrong and it has been said by most people on here, tell me do you think you are still correct in your views about extra time off for people who work 195 days a year (170 days off a year)

14. Am I actually an adult? No I'm an eight year old- the joke's on you! What a stupid question!

For the record I have NEVER taken such a day but sadly I've worked with many who have! Where's the thread about idiots on un-needed long term sick leave?! (Not genuine cases but ridiculous ones). Also it is a reflection of hard work especially at Christmas, think about the Christmas shows/bingos/mass that take place at all hours after a long day at school, don't get me wrong I'm happy to do that but a day off would mean a little bit more of a recovery.

Finally the 13 weeks holiday as a reward, I think you need to check you pay and conditions, actually teacher's pay does not include holiday! We work pro-rata!

Signed,

One able child,

PS- I'd have never have know that about pra.t if you hadn't have told me, tw. it!

15. is exactly what someone would say after they have thrown their toys!

I do still believe a Christmas shopping day as a reward for all the hard work and long hours is a gesture of good will and I intend to take next years should it be offered again. If you added up all the hours a typical teacher did in a week it would amount to almost 2 weeks in any other job. Did we know it would be that much work when we signed up to it? Maybe...maybe not.

170 days includes the weekends right? Don't quite a lot of people get the weekends off anyway? As a teacher like most other teachers I work on the weekends so that number of 170 days off isn't actually that high is it?

16. Well if my 37k a year is divided by just 39 weeks a year then I think Im a very very lucky man who really never needs or can justify an extra paid day off, wouldnt you say?

17. Msz

Msz Established commenter

did you forget to change names?

18. I think the poor so.d is so out of his depth it's cringeworthy msz

19. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I go back to my previous question. Are you actually an adult? I don't know many adults that would think that comment was realistic.

20. Just think... if you had a shopping day, you could spend some of that!