1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools giving staff days off for birthdays and xmas shopping...are some people on the same planet?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by The Red Heron, Jan 20, 2011.

1. You'd only be £100 better off if you thought it was ethical to accept it.

2. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Oh get over it people. I know of quite a few public sector workers (friends and family) who get far more than one day off a year to shop and no one is bothered. I have digs at their jobs and vice versa. We get treated like **** most of the time in school mainly because teachers are ten a penny now. We work hard and so are offered a treat. Accept it. I'm not going to feel guilty for your sour grapes! Ethical shmetical, if you were offered it along with every other member of your school (teaching and none teaching) I think you'd take it.

3. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

You sound a little like a child throwing a tantrum. You know you are wrong but you just won't back down and keep throwing your toys around in a strop.

4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Classic toys out of pram strop.
    Which public sector jobs are we talking about? I expect most taxpayers would be bothered.
    You get paid, don't you? What's the justification for wasting your school budgets in addition to getting paid for what you do? Do you think teachers have a monopoly on working hard?

5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

And quite a few teachers (who undoubtedly work as hard as you) don't agree with you, but feel this is a benefit teachers shouldn't be offered and shouldn't be accepting.

6. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

The toys I bought on my shopping day would never get thrown out of my pram, far too good for that!

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

fortunately you get paid to go shopping (instead of working to earn your wage) so can afford to buy them

8. I think I'll need the school to give me a day off next month so I can go and get my easter eggs...
    Mr PrimaryX fancy joining me?

9. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

ha ha dont joke, some teachers out there will think you're serious

10. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Good idea. Day off to buy Easter eggs..., might ask for a Friday and make a long weekend of it. You'd have to be a bit daft to turn that one down... oh right yeah wrong audience! Glad to see this topic is still high up on the forum.

11. Very interesting thread in some ways - really it's about the hours we work. I would say- as a parent, teacher and governor it is up to the school. Interstingly my school wouldn't do it and we all work very long hours - I usually work all of most weekends. My school won't even let me have a day off to take my daughter on a university visit. Those whose schools let them are lucky, let's not knock it. You are right, we don't get many perks,in my book and we all work well over 40hrs a week. Most teachers I know (whatever age group they teach) work an average of 60 hrs a week. I do a ten hour day in school without a lunchbreak, often have evening meetings as we all do, and work evenings and weekends. Enjoy the perks if you get the chance.

12. WB

WB Occasional commenter

We don't get many perks but we do get 170 days off a year. maybe you could organise your to fit in shopping then? Just a thought.

13. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Too busy planning in the holidays. Just like most of you.

14. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Why can't she go on her own?

15. You're right and my son has been to most on his own. Some, however, are so awkward to get to by train that, in order that he doen't need to stay overnight and miss more college, he has been taken. It is also useful to take a young person to one of the first ones just to get them to really think about the questions they need to ask about accommodation, for instance.

16. Just to add, I didn't get paid.

17. I got one of these days. Didn't ask for it, need it or want it. Yet it cost the taxpayer (35000/195) £178.48 plus on costs. Do not let anyone bullsh*t you that education budgets are being squeezed.

18. Msz

Refuse to take it

19. I went in but got sent home by the head!

20. Msz

perhaps you should have refused earlier