1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools giving staff days off for birthdays and xmas shopping...are some people on the same planet?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by The Red Heron, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

yes ...[​IMG]

2. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

As a head, I wonder if you're aware if how exhausted your teaching staff are towards the end of term? Especially with the expected Christmas play/nativity end of term assessments/target setting and everything else that should be in place before they finally are allowed to collapse and recover for two weeks.

Teaching today is an exceptionally demanding role, for heaven's sake if we can't relax in the weeks before Christmas then when? The children are usually excited beyond belief and even more difficult to formally teach in the run up! There needs to be some leniency after all the days of the Victorian school master are long gone, or at least they are where I work...

In no other job do you have to wait until a bell rings before you can use a toilet or get a drink! In no other job are you expected to submit your plans, can you imagine a doctor planning on how to treat his patients before he actually is allowed to carry out that for which he is trained. My point is, we work hard, VERY hard and in order to stay motivated and remain energetic, if somebody offers me a day off as a gesture of goodwill and appreciation of the work I do, I'm bloody well going to take it.

As for 'rarely cover' I wonder what the absences are like where you are? As a school our staff attendance does not require any cover as there 'rarely' anyone off. I wonder if a day off actually improves staff morale and motivation?!

If teachers have no 'right' to time off then may I suggest you send them home at 3.30 and expect them in at 8.50? Consider a Christmas Shopping Day as a right to time in lieu, I'm sure you're staff can clock up the hours of CEO, and yet are they payed like one? I think not, you yourself however...

By the way as a head, exactly how many hours do you spend interacting with children? Teaching? Planning? You're own work load I suggest is comforted by your breakfast meetings, hmm I wonder if tax payers knew?!

Hypocrisy - dictionary definition 'headteachers discussing workload.'

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Are you serious?
    Of course we are tired and so are head teachers by the end of term but it doesn't mean we are entitled to a day off to do the Christmas shopping. You have <u>170</u> days off!!
    Do you have any idea about the hours doctors work without sleep never mind loo breaks ...

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Mprimary z. You know nothing about me. You know nothing of how my staff are treated, their workload or my workload. For thecrecord I out in linger hours than all my teaching staff at school and a fair few at home.
    staff in my school are well treated and happy
    I teach ( my choice) I am out on the yard every play and lunchtime and before and after school. I run clubs, I also plan units of work. I do the budget ( no bursar) I oversee breakfast and afterschool clubs in my own time to save school money. I do consultancy work to make school money ( in my own time).
    when you've dragged a school from special measures to good with outstanding features and turned a massive budget deficit into a healthy underspend ( whilst bringing up 2 children) come back and talk to me about workload.

5. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

As a man why is it assumed that I don't have children? (Three actually) They were grateful for their gifts just in case you were wondering. Well done for doing all of the above by the way!

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I didn't know you were a man. I didn't presume you didn't have children. I apologise for the rant but I get p155ed off with the " you're a head you don't work as hard as teachers" line. All heads are different, just as all teachers are different. Most heads I know work bloody hard.
    It's not all sitting in the office drinking tea. In fact, with the exception of when I invite the pupils for tea, I don't get the chance.

7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

As a man I do what most other male (and I assume female teachers) do. I plan ahead. It's not like the end of term date sneaks up on you. We know when it is and don't leave our shopping until the end of December.

My children loved their presents as well. All bought without the use of a day off. We are all tired near the end of term. That is why we have TWO WHOLE WEEKS OFF!

8. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I was a bit peeved this year. We didn't get 2 weeks - broke up on the 23rd, back on the 4th. Still managed to sort the Christmas shopping and get it delivered to various parts of the country.

9. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Do you know, the more I read your post mpeimaeyz, themore I want to retract my apology for the rant. You deserved a lot more. I'm not sure where you get the idea of " breakfast meetings" from. I have breakfast with my own children and i'm in work by 7.30am.
    As for my pay- I don't know what you think a primary head earns but I think you'd be a bit shocked. In my LA they start on L6 and usually have a teaching commitment- maybe it's different where you are- you seem to be awash with cash if you can afford " shopping days".
    If you think it's such a cushy number, maybe you should try it!

10. Amen to that.

11. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

You're sounding rather silly, now, mprimaryz. Most of the criticism of your stance on this thread has come from people who are not headteachers.

12. Im a primary teacher and amazed that people get days off for xmas shopping!! No wonder Joe Public think we have it easy! Crazy! What headteacher would allow that? With funding cuts etc etc How could any schools headteachers justify this? It makes the profession look, well unprofessional.
    I have had to take one day off during term time as it was a good friend's wedding. As it was nearly the summer holiday I felt very guilty about even asking for the time so offered to take it unpaid. Luckily, and probably because i havent had a day off sick for over 5 years and havent ever made stupid requests for shopping days i was able to get the day off and was paid......

13. er....how?

14. I have been teaching many years and I do find myself working on weekends and evenings.

15. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Exactly.

16. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

But most of the teachers who have shopping days don't ask for it. It's given to us from SMT. Asking for a day off for whatever reason (good friend or not) is a bit different.

17. What if every member of staff was offered &pound;100 by SMT?

18. Cant imagine how embarrassing it would be if you met one of the parents in the shopping centre! Just cannot see how having days off for xmas shopping is really seen a sthat important!! If people need days off work to buy people more and more junk that they could quite honestly live without, surely they should plan well ahead for it. Im amazed people even admit that they would take such a day to do it.

19. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Then we would all be £100 better off. Silly question!

20. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

You have consistently failed to justify having these days off over the course of this thread. I highly doubt it will have much effect on you. It seems you are happy to go along living in la la land.