1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools giving staff days off for birthdays and xmas shopping...are some people on the same planet?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by The Red Heron, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

OK how do you justify it to yourself?

2. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

We finished on the 23rd December. I planned ahead. It's not hard.

3. Not sure that even crosses their mind to be honest...

4. I wouldnt have thought anyone taking that day paid or without any embarrassment has any feelings or self awareness at all as how it looks on top of 170 days off a year, quite pathetic more than anything

5. plus presumably they wouldnt mind children in their class having the day off and be taken out of school to go xmas shopping then either? (what would the stupid HT say if said parent asked for a day off for that? authorised I assume then?)

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Quite.

7. Depends if the HT wants the children to feel appreciated for all their hard work I guess.....[​IMG]

8. haha, we tend to give out certificates and house points but days off for shopping could be built into the behaviour policy I suppose.....

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm sure it doesn't

10. well I think you know when 95% of people in the profession thinks its an incredibly stupid and needless concept...it is...needless to say the general public...presumably the couple of very silly little posters who support it would have no problem with other professions doing it then? doctors? ambulance driver? nurse? chemists? the local newagent? just as long as they split the customers eh and gave them a sub standard service/experience it seems to be ok?

11. We used to have an INSET day for Shopping etc, was mainly due to attendance as throughout December parents would be taking their kids out of school for Christmas clothes shopping, to see Father Christmas etc etc, so the school was quite open in telling parents this day is for this purpose - therefore your child should not be out of school for this reason during this term....worked well for 2 / 3 years (the staff came in in the AM to do work etc, course where ran then we would be allowed to leave at 2) ---- then the Head provided us with a 'personal day' each term, this was to be used for appointments etc. any personal business that you needed to sort out, was a lovely gesture ---- I have to say it came in really handy as used it for my eye appointments / dentist and stuff, but then people started to abuse it, wanted more and more ---- take all 3 days in the same term etc etc so it was taken away :-( think my point is (If I actually have one) is that these good will gestures are lovely, but there are people who take the COMPLETE P*&£ and ruin it for all - still don't have their work done and still moan!
    We get the time, organise yourself! Use the internet; work in your lunch so you can go the shops right after school, my husband worked right up to Christmas Eve! We get good holidays ----- One of the reasons I became teacher, ok we don't have any choice when we can take them, I organise myself so I can have most of my holidays ... I have one 1 work day per half term...in the summer I go in the last week to get ready - by then I am usually bored anyways! lol....so get over it, good on yeh if you have a personal day or the like as a previous poster said 'use it without guilt' the rest of you stop being sour pusses because you don't get one! ;-) At the end of the day each school circumstances are different, it is nice to feel appreciated!! (Curly Girl you sound fab, would love to work for you!)

12. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I bet you simply daren't tell them: their parents would be down on you like a ton of bricks. As curlygirly says, it's school time - time you're paid to be at work. I think the parents might be very interested in where you were if they knew.

13. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Thanks penguin.
    I do worry about people who think that they're hard done to.
    Yes we do work hard and no one is more fed up than me of the constant change, interference, and general teacher bashing which goes on. Some posters on here are doing the profession no favours.

Journalists read these threads. Can you imagine the headline if the DM got hold of this one?
    The general public would presume that all schools are doing this and that teachers are just as lazy and workshy as they currently believe. They already think we work part time anyway.
    I've already had a letter from Mr Gove telling me I'll have to make " back room cuts", in my school there is no back room to cut. I can't even afford a full time secretary.
    In the schools where staff are paid to go shopping it's obviously a different story. Maybe they could send some cash my way so I can reduce my classes from 30 to 18 like the poster who doubles up!

14. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Actually we're desperately trying to increase our numbers! My class came into the school as a reception class of 12 children and forced the school into a situation of having mixed age classes. It's only been the few years we've been getting enough children in the lower end of the school to gradually phase out the mixed classes. KS1 classes are now 30 with a waiting list, it's just upper KS2 which is that small!

15. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I inherited a huge deficit (> 20% of the overall budget) which I've managed to turn around. A class of 18 would be totally unfeasible for me- I've taught 4 year groups in a class before and if my classes were that small I'm afraid I'd have to double them up to balance the books.
    If your numbers are so low I think the head is a little foolish to set the precedent of allowing staff time off to shop. If your class sizes increase, it's going to cost a fortune to maintain.

16. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm intrigued by the argument used by at least one supporter of this shameless waste of taxpayers' money that as it's Christmas, there's so much time spent on Christmas activities, etc that it doesn't matter.
    Speaking as a head who has always insisted that such activities are kept to an absolute minimum and that staff teach real, properly planned lessons right up to the final day, it makes me even more angry to hear that some schools are compounding the lost learning time in this way.
    The 'we cover for each other' part makes my blood boil. The unions fought for 'rarely cover', making a massive, costly difference to school budgets when teachers refuse to cover for sickness absence, etc. as they used to - but some of you are perfectly happy to break the WLA for 'Christmas shopping'. Can you not see how wrong that is?
    Teachers have no 'right' to time off with pay during the school day for as pathetic a person reason as 'Christmas shopping' and as others have suggested, the press would have a field day with this thread.
    I simply do not understand why those supporting this nonsense cannot see how wrong it is.

17. I totally agree Middlemarch. So many double standards in school! Gets on my nerves!

18. Ditto

19. ks9aq

ks9aq New commenter

In our school, we use our 'ocassional' day for Christmas shopping (usually first Friday of December). All staff are off (including school office). As it is a Friday, I go away for the night and get all my presents on the Friday and Saturday. We have had very little negative comments from the parents as they are given the date 18-24 months earlier so they can sort out childcare etc.
    Our HT encourages parents to take their children to see Father Christmas, if that is what they want to do, as she will obviously not authorise this in school time (parents have asked in the past). Many parents take the day off and visit relatives or go away for a short break before the Christmas rush.
    The cleaning contractors also like it as they can give the school a more thorough clean and have less to do in the Christmas holidays.
    So this way of doing the Christmas shopping day does not cost the school any money.

20. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Sorry for sounding stupid but what is an 'occasional' day and how does in not cost the school and money? Surely this can't be an INSET can it?