1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools giving staff days off for birthdays and xmas shopping...are some people on the same planet?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by The Red Heron, Jan 20, 2011.

1. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Ta[​IMG]

2. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

'The point I was trying to get across is not that staff SHOULD be given a free day off'

first sensible thing you've said all thread...no staff member should ever be given time off paid to the detriment of the school budget and taxpayer. In no way conceivable should a professsion that is employed just 195 days of the year be given any additional time off or it makes a mockery of the job. These very stupid HT and Gov Bodies do exist that allow for this but thankfully they are probably 1% of the entire school system. As I said earlier I would want any HT or Gov Body charged with wasting public funds if I ever heard of such a scheme in my local area.

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

I don't think staff should be given a day off for Christmas shopping. I'd be embarrassed if we were offered it. Our school can't afford such gestures, full stop.
    However, the thirteen weeks holiday thing annoys me too. When you add up all the out-of-hours time, you can soon knock off a fair number of those weeks.

4. The Red Heron

However, the thirteen weeks holiday thing annoys me too. When you add up all the out-of-hours time, you can soon knock off a fair number of those weeks.

I dont think thats true at all....and if you are knocking off weeks rather than days then youre at the wrong school. I can honestly say I go in 2/3 days over the summer and rarely at other hols, dont work weekends or stay past 6-I sometimes think teachers actually want that peddled old cra.p to be true but actually its not. Most of us get 12 free weeks a year at least (from a decade of my experiences at 4 different schools)

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry, but it's true. I worked in Early Years for a few years and the preparation, planning, compiling 'Learning Journeys' and assessment paperwork certainly amounted to weeks. Maybe you work in a secondary school and have a syllabus that, once assembled, need only be tweaked a bit.

6. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

No there aren't. Just common sense as people have said.
    I work for a company. Our Christmas party wasn't subsidised - you paid the full whack if you wanted to go. I don't get a company car and the petrol allowance is laughable and has gone up 2p a mile in the past 5 years. We are essential car users and travel extensively. No car? Pick up your P45. Mine has just "died" and I'm having to cash in my pension to buy another in order to keep my job. My mobile is for traceability, not for personal use and bills are scrutinised. Health insurance? Are you having a laugh?

Oh, and I put in quite a lot of unpaid overtime just trying to keep on top of the job, and I'm expected to study in my own time for courses I didn't choose to do.

Paid days off for Christmas shopping are a completely unjustifiable use of taxpayers' money and waste of the school budget.

7. The Red Heron

Yes exactly, Id love to know the exact place where lala land seems to be for some of our fellow colleagues who want paid days off for leisure pursuits on top of 170 days off a year.

8. I do all me xmas shopping online, have all my weekends free and evenings. In my holidays I do prepare and do work and often go in to school but that is my choice to make my life easier in term time. Bottom line, I would love a day off school in term time. Who wouldn't if it was offered? "You can have your birthday off school this year and you're allowed a day to go shopping!" "Umm, no thanks. I'd rather stay at school". Like I said, would love time off in term time but I don't think I should be entitled to one.

9. It's just discrimination against the poor summer born again. When will they get a break? :p

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

hey I've got a Christmas birthday so I'd not get a day off either!
    got to say I'm not comfortable with the idea of using the budget this way there must be better ways of maintaining work life balance

11. The Red Heron

Its just a crazy idea..no sane person would say its justified in anyway

12. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

*Pedant alert*
    Ahem - I think you meant that the school budget is not an infinite pot!
    Excellent points, however.

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Love it when arguments descend to 'No sane person would disagree with my point of view'.

14. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

You buggger - I'd spotted it but hoped no one would notice it. I was having a proper rant though.
    ~ strops off~

15. The Red Heron

ok minnieminx, no sane person would agree that somebody getting 170 days off a year should get one more off, on full pay to go shopping. ok with that?

16. I've read through some of the comments on this thread and I can't believe that any school actually gives staff days off for leisure activities!!! Is this a joke??? I'm a TA, and in my school we don't even get paid for all the hours we work. If a class is going on a school trip, and the hours fall outside our normal working hours, then we're expected to "volunteer" our time. You can, theoretically, say no, but all the TAs were told that if we didn't volunteer our time, then "the children would suffer" (and that is a verbatim quote) i.e. activities would be cancelled. This even applies to regular activities, like swimming. We have some part time teachers who have been asked to take children on school trips on their non-working days, again on a voluntary basis.
    Personally, I find not paying staff for the time / job they actually do as ridiculous as paying them to go shopping! It's a mad, mad world.

17. The Red Heron

Which was one of my points..as a TA on £7-9 an hour how would you guys feel about a teacher on UPS 3 on £150 day being given the day off to shop? would you all sit in the staffroom and go 'well what a good idea x definitely deserves it' i suspect common sense and injustice would say no

18. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Let's face it Red Heron, if someone offered you a day off to go shopping etc you'd take it. You sound like a bit of tool to be honest. Yes we get the long holidays but how often do you spend those holidays recovering from doing 70 hour weeks or planning for the next term etc. Don't even get me started about weekends! I get the shopping day and personally think it's a good thing. Lots of other private sectors get the same. Everyone covers for everyone. You give blood for gods sake why not get a little something in return. Most lessons fall of the wagon as it gets close to Christmas anyway so it's not as if anyone is missing out. And as a tax payer (and by your definition I technically pay my own wages) I think all teachers should get lime in lieu for all the bloody hours we have to do. Schools are lucky to have us. None of my friends who work in the private sector work anywhere near as hard as we do! Red Heron = tool!

19. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

I agree, working for free in your own time is rubbish. Don't become a teacher as that is exactly what you'll have to do!

20. Msz

Msz Established commenter

so what happens to your class when you go shopping?