1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools giving staff days off for birthdays and xmas shopping...are some people on the same planet?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by The Red Heron, Jan 20, 2011.

1. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

Read this on another thread...
    jeeez its that sort of rubbish that gets this profession a bad name...day off for xmas shopping? last year we broke up on Dec 17th for gods sake...if I was a parent who was paying the wages of these teachers at that school I would report the school to the LEA-Ive never heard anything so bl.oody stupid and blinded in all my life

2. The Red Heron

Read this on another thread...
    jeeez its that sort of rubbish that gets this profession a bad name...day off for xmas shopping? last year we broke up on Dec 17th for gods sake...if I was a parent who was paying the wages of these teachers at that school I would report the school to the LEA-Ive never heard anything so bl.oody stupid and blinded in all my life

3. As both a teacher and a parent I can see where this might be an option for some schools who are keen to promote Work-Life balance. We didn't finish until the 23rd December last year and had very little time to go shopping for the kids Christmas presents as they were always with me. I could have done with a day off to do it.

4. The Red Heron

Work Life balance?? I think we get very very tunnel visioned in our cossoted little job, most of my friends/family always break up Xmas Eve...but hey presto still manage to get things done...tell me why we're so special again?

5. Well having worked outside of Education for 15 years before becoming a teacher I did the same as any other parent did around Christmas which was take a days holiday / flexi-day to go shopping.

This year will be interesting as, due to the fact I work in a different LA to where my children go to school, our half term and Easter holidays are at different times. So I don't even have the "luxury" of enjoying the many family holidays we are suppose to get in our "cossEted little job".

6. The Red Heron

Believe me when I tell my friends that some people who get 13 wks off a year aslo want an extra day of at xmas they'll kill themselves laughing..it is completely stupid

7. If it is covered by qualified teaching staff within school budget and nothing else is suffering for it, I dont see the problem.
    Yes we get lots of holidays, and no we are no different to any other job in how close to christmas we sometimes have to work - HOWEVER we also work ridiculous hours during the working week, work a good percentage of our 'holidays' to prepare for the next half term, and don't have any say at all in when we have time off. I think a day off once a year is a small price to pay for good morale amongst staff.

8. We dont get 13 weeks off you pillock. I certainly work a good percentage of those weeks - albeit from home. You have blatantly just started this thread to troll, so i'll leave you to mutter and grumble to yourself now.

9. You have friends? Someone isn't putting as many hours in as the rest of us.

10. I know what you mean. My friends realise that they are indeed very lucky to be able to take holidays when they want. They they see for themselves that at least 6 of those 13 weeks are taken up by school work and weekends are no longer a break from work. I no longer have half the free time I had when I was tied in to a 40 hour week in an office with 4 weeks holidays a year. (Wouldn't change it for the world though. Just need to remember to do my Christmas shopping in August this year! ;) )

11. If it is done so by lumping PPA together, then I can't see the problem if okayed by the Head. I see the point in the OP though. To the outsider, it may be very irritating that these additional days are given. I wouldn't allow them if I was a HT nor would I allow holidays for school staff in term time. The job is the job and we took it on knowing the demands of it.

12. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Red Heron I suggest you don't bother coming to my school then. God forbid you work in a school where you are treated like a human being not a robot. Yes we sit on tables, we are given a half day off for Christmas shopping (even the head and deputy took their half days this year) and until recently we could have a half hour therapy session on a Wednesday paid for by school.
    But then I will also be going in for a week during the holidays to do extra booster sessions for my year 6 children so I guess it gets cancelled out.

13. The Red Heron

Devon..hear hear..I dont think any Gov body on the board would ever agree to that..I can honestly say that I do get my 13 wks a year and my weekends and my evenings as I can get my work done between 8 and 6 everyday..and so no, dont feel that I deserve a day off for my birthday and run upto xmas...and dont actually know any other SANE person who thinks they should have it
    Id invite anyone here to stand up to people in 9/10 other jobs that work until the 24th and persuade them of the need for an extra day off, its just very odd that some cant see the joke in that

14. My "shopping day" is covered by the Head-I suppose she counts as a suitably qualified member of staff! It might seem like an indulgence, but then I don't moan when I spend 4 days on duty 24 hours a day for a residential, Swings and Roundabouts!

15. And our Governors are quite happy with it too!

16. Most parents appreciate the hard work and extra time that the teachers put in for their kids. I don't think that many of the parents at my school would object and they are all middle - upper middle class parents. As a previous poster mentioned... it's all swings and roundabouts.

17. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

I'm sure she is indeed suitably qualified, but during that day the school is paying the HT a HT's salary but she is unable to undertake the duties of that job.

18. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

A headTEACHER...the name itself suggests that they TEACH. I've known many a headteacher cover lessons for a variety of reasons.

19. And I'm sure she knows this, the HT duties are then done in her own time-she appreciates us too! ( and has never been accused of slacking off!)

20. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Yes, and there is nothing wrong with a certain amount of timetabled teaching, or indeed covering unavoidable absence. However, covering a "shopping day" is neither of these.