1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools dumping Edexcel GCSE maths in favour of AQA.

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by briancant, Mar 8, 2020.

1. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I tutor lots of students GCSE maths. This year all the local schools seem to have dumped Edexcel in favour of AQA. Is this a trend and is there a reason behind it?

2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I haven't noticed that here, south east London and bits of Kent. Most schools are still doing Edexcel for both GCSE and A level. There are a couple of schools which do AQA for GCSE but they have done that for a while. AQA doesn't seem particularly easier and I am not keen on the multiple choice, especially with such low pass marks.

3. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I very much agree about AQA.

The schools here are all competing with one another and I think because one changed they all did. I did wonder if it was a trend because I normal mark for Edexcel but haven't been invited this year and I thought if numbers were down that would be why.

I thought the Edexcel paper had perhaps a couple of very difficult questions on that AQA didn't but I may be wrong.

4. BG54

BG54 Occasional commenter

I haven't noticed any particular change around here (NW England) for Maths GCSE, the local secondaries have mostly stayed with the same providers (largely Edexcel with a couple for AQA) for the last 5 or 6 years although OCR Maths A-level has been taken up by one of the big 6th-form colleges (to replace AQA if my memory serves me right).