1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools direct QTS.. Can contact time count towards NQT?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lwarrenswettenham, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Hi all,

Main question is, if you have done a schools direct vs uni pgce can you use the extended contact time to count towards your NQT?

I completed my QTS via a schools direct pgce programme. I consequently got burn out and am now looking at ways of completing my NQT in a more life friendly way!

I have delved through all the official docs provided by gov.com and can't seem to find the mandatory contact hours in school for a pgce student. As a schools direct trainee I was in school 4 days a week from the beginning of September for a full school year, teaching from the get go and teaching close to full weeks for the summer term.

My query is, that this teaching time seems above that for uni route pgce placements... I may be wrong as can't find any info... So surely should be counted?!

I may be clasping at straws but would be great to know how people have got their NQT ticked off on a part time basis. I'm currently working part time as a TA but already getting asked to cover teachers in a teaching role....

THANK YOU !

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You can't count teaching time towards your NQT year from before you qualified as a teacher - you did not qualify until about June of the PGCE.

The NQT year isn't about ticking off a certain number of hours of teaching - it's about you showing that you can meet the teacher standards over time, and providing evidence for that, like you did on the PGCE but with less support.

You cannot be enrolled as an NQT unless you are going to complete at least 1 term at the same school teaching the same students (pro rata for part time workers).

You cannot retrospectively apply for something to be counted towards the NQT year - it has to be agreed beforehand.

I didn't complete the NQT year part time, but people do. This may be the best option for you. Good luck!

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The NQT induction is not a matter of time-serving. It is a planned programme of assessment and development that needs to build upon your ITT. The school need to commit to the induction and formally register the teacher with an appropriate body. There needs to be a mentor, release time of 10% and a formal process of assessment throughout the 3 term period. The full regulations are via this link.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/induction-for-newly-qualified-teachers-nqts
    Induction can be completed part time- the period is extended appropriately so if you are on a half timetable it takes 2 academic years rather than 1.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

By the way, when you are asked to cover teachers and be in a teaching role, you should make sure they pay you appropriately.

5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

All courses, regardless of type, have to do minimum of 120 days a year as part of an organised placement. SD is a meaningless phrase which can mean 5 days a week QTS or 4 days a week university based PGCE. It refers to the funding stream and was one of Gove's little sleight of hands.

And no, you have to do the full three terms of NQT. Advice is to find a nice supportive school. A good school. A well led school. Not a school led by a maniac.