1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SCHOOLS DEFY MASK ADVICE

Discussion in 'News' started by ACOYEAR8, Jul 26, 2020.

1. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Whatever the average student may feel about school, she or he would normally suppose clear responses to emergencies.

What now for masks ? Will we all be wearing masks in school by September ?
    The Daily Mail/Wail
    "One comprehensive, Holmes Chapel in Cheshire, has even told parents the masks are now part of the school uniform and can be bought for £3 at a designated shop."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-pupils-wear-face-masks-return-September.html

2. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Hasn't the advice been that wearing masks in schools could be more dangerous than not doing so, and that they won't help when worn all day?
    Also, it's interesting that those who will scream about certain forms of discrimination seem quite happy to choose masks that really do make learning impossible for people who have certain disabilities.

The idea of making parents pay for a certain type of mask must surely be a bad joke.

agathamorse and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  3. littledragon25

littledragon25 New commenter

As someone who just spent the last 2 years fighting and beating cancer and is now immunocompromosed, I don't particularly want to die from exposure to a virus. I love my job and the kids though, so surely everyone wearing masks to protect people like me is the right thing to do?

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Lots of schools are encouraging masks. Very few are outright banning them.I have only heard of one where they will be compulsary for childen though.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

well, the virus doesn't take "certain disabilities" into condsideration, I'm afraid.

Catgirl1964 and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  6. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Creating exemptions for the tiny minority who rely on lip-reading is entirely reasonable and does not detract from the overall effectiveness of masks.

agathamorse and Corvuscorax like this.
  7. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I guess that's another question which has wider implications -is it better to have some people wearing masks than none at all ? We have some schools (according to DM) which insist on mask wearing and at least one other where they insist that mask are not worn.