1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools could have less funding under Boris Johnson, according to Labour

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jun 25, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Labour claims that schools could be worse off if Boris Johnson becomes the next prime minister. Shadow education secretary Angela Rayner has voiced concerns that pupils could be worse off because of Mr Johnson’s spending plan which could leave schools with less funding than what they have now.

‘Boris Johnson's spending plans could leave pupils missing out – and a "much-needed" schools funding formula could be delayed because of Brexit planning, Labour has warned.

Shadow education secretary Angela Rayner raised concerns that the national funding formula will be "delayed by the Treasury in order to reserve money for a no-deal contingency fund".’

https://www.tes.com/news/less-school-funding-under-boris-johnson-labour-claim

What do you think of Labour’s concerns? Are you worried about the schools funding formula if Boris Johnson becomes prime minister? Are you worried about what school funding will be like if Jeremy Hunt becomes prime minister?

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Neither of them inspires confidence.
    Johnson won't be interested in the detail and will not have schools as a high priority.
    Hunt won't want to spend money, and will discover a report suggesting that 7 day schooling will improve outcomes. He will have no interest in improving our T&C

BTBAM85, bessiesmith and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. jenny_talwarts

jenny_talwarts New commenter

Well they would say that, wouldn't they?

4. gainly

gainly Established commenter

Why would Johnson waste money on educating the plebs when he could use it to give a large tax cut to the well paid?

5. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

I did not win the lottery this week - but that is not much of a surprise - I have never played. I put similar odds on the shadow secretary being correct after speculation about a theoretical outcome of what Mr Johnson may do, if he ever becomes p.m.

6. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

I'm hoping funding is slashed even more. Maybe then will it encourage schools to not waste and make do with what they have. Doing aways with salaries bigger than the PM's will be a good thing.

7. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Only Boris being in power would lead to less funding in education?
    Shome mistake surely?

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

That's what most schools have been doing for decades.

9. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

Really? Hmmm...I can name twenty-five schools off the top of my head that have a Senior Executive Principal, a principal, and then at least six more VPs and AVPs. How is that saving money? How is spending loads on new bright colourful banners saving money? How can SLT and MAT leaders justify getting paid the rates they are paid? Some maybe, but definitely not all which is why I beg to argue about 'most' schools not wasting and making do with what they have. The last school I worked in got rid of a few teachers but hired a new member of the SLT (one that was brought over with the new head).

nervousned likes this.
  10. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

We are an LA secondary school with 1 Head, 1 deputy and 2 assistant heads for 1000 students. This seems like a fairly reasonable size for SLT and we are absolutely broke. There is certainly no money for marketing or brightly coloured banners. I can't even afford stationary and the basic equipment I need for my subject (music). We are in a rural area which means that our per pupil funding is very low and is going to be cut further in the new formula. I don't understand why the child of, say a postman in a rural community should have less spent on their education than say the child of a city doctor. It would seem much fairer to me if all students had the same funding regardless of postcode, and then there was a much more generous top-up funding for pupil premium / SEN students.

11. sportyteach2

sportyteach2 New commenter