1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools close to Singapore but in Malaysia

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by pygmymarmoset, Dec 4, 2019.

1. pygmymarmoset

pygmymarmoset New commenter

I want to work in Singapore but I am also considering places close to Singapore as a stepping stone. My research shows that there are international schools in Johor State, Malaysia. I have found 4 . Does anyone have any information about these. I see on *** that the Way of the Sun one has good reviews as has Raffle tickets but the can't find anything for the British school there that has the same name as a posh British boarding school.

2. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

That one, with an elite name, I asked a colleague who taught there and made me think twice before applying as it was on my radar for next year.

Issue sounds like teething issues, school needs to mature. So go for it, but JB was known as the toilet of Malaysia by Singapore Brit expats lol. It isn't as nice as KL.

3. pygmymarmoset

pygmymarmoset New commenter

Thank you Nemo. Is there anything specific that would come under teething issues? Is iit something to do with leadership, or pay, or the package or something else. I was thinking of applying there if a job came up but can not find much info on it. Two of the schools are not actually in JB City and quite close to the bridge to Singapore.

4. claytie

claytie New commenter

The one with the British elite name is in an isolated place. I have been there. Didn’t feel a happy place, but that was a couple of years ago. Better to go for good schools near KL.

5. Booker_d

Booker_d New commenter

Although JB is geographically close to Singapore, it's still a pain to get across the border. You will spend a couple of hours each way in queues at immigration.

Don't rule out KL. There are dozens of flights a day and can be as cheap as 20 quid each way. The flight itself takes about 40 minutes (obviously you also have immigration at both sides too, but much quicker than the bridge one). Schools in KL are probably better known and will perhaps serve better as a stepping stone to Singapore.

KL is definitely a better quality of life than JB. However, good luck wherever you end up.

6. greenn111

greenn111 New commenter

Also Penang is not unlike Singapore was 20 years ago, a very livable place and again only a 45 minute flight to Singapore. There is another new school in Penang advertising on TES now