1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools being run like tyrannical regimes

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Jackspeak, Apr 9, 2012.

1. This is a recent news article- TES readers may echo similar experiences in their own schools?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2127076/Pupils-recruited-spy-lessons-say-teachers.html

Nealswife likes this.
  2. This is going on in our school.

3. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

The sooner I leave teaching, the better.

tank_123 likes this.
  4. Nealswife

Nealswife Occasional commenter

Schools were nurturing places once.....now run by tyrants and power crazed self imposed despots....called Academies.

5. 1cherries

1cherries New commenter

The classic pincer movement . Gotcha!!!

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Yes - I've been in one of them. Run by a vicious philanderer who regularly use to scream at people in staff meetings, bully teachers on a daily basis and who threatened all of us with the sack if we mentioned anything negative to the OFSTED inspectors when they were in.

The rest of his SLT were no better - one of them was very lucky he didn't end up in jail for safeguarding offences and the rest were too scared to do anything.

I was only there a year fortunately - he was removed the following year.

Nealswife and agathamorse like this.
  7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

A strange thread to suddenly resurface.

8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Not really. I think it indicated that nothing has changed for the better, over the last decade.

When my last school became an academy, and the the 'velvet glove came off the mailed fist', we were staggered. We realised that my had an SLT who would stop at nothing, including the criminal, to get its own way. During the time i was there, i met the nastiest people i have ever encountered.

agathamorse and Ivanhoe like this.
  9. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice Occasional commenter

I think accusing schools of placing ‘spies’ in lessons is a red herring. Lessons are designed for students, so if the students are not enjoying or benefiting from a lesson, I don’t see why that shouldn’t be reported to faculty heads or management.

Universities now have regular course improvement questionnaires (at least twice per term per class) so issues can be raised and teaching staff are expected to be able to demonstrate to management how they are acting on the suggestions made.

Students are also given contact details for senior management so they are able to report immediately any issues from a class. It has made for far better teaching and far higher student satisfaction.

10. meggyd

meggyd Star commenter

Hello GreenTrees! Back with a new name!

11. katiejane1

katiejane1 New commenter

Don’t feed it- it will only feed its self importance- unless theheadteacheroffice/greentrees is indeed my old head (there seems to be some worrying similarities) if so ‘hi, by the way it wasn’t me, it was you’

12. letap

letap Occasional commenter

This is conjecture, you offer no proof of this but then this is typical of your postings to represent a false viewpoint and then not responding when called out on the fallacy of your arguments.

agathamorse, steely1 and Ivanhoe like this.
  13. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe New commenter

Greentrees123 / Headteachers office,
    I pm'd you a couple of months ago with respects to visiting your school to see how things are done. This is especially important in these times, as I would like to know how you have mitigated the risk for your staff, yet maintained high educational standards. The posters in this forum are clearly interested in the betterment of student outcomes and mostly sans ego. You have not responded, which is strange, since I would think you would welcome the opportunity to show us how it is done.
    It would be a shame that such an outstanding individual such as yourself ends up being labelled as a troll.

14. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes, it is he! Previously @GreenTrees123 - the fake head of a non-existent free school - and before that @CalF123 - the fake Deputy Head of a a non-existent free school.

Back for his usual amusement, seeing how far he can push teachers before they either explode or ignore him :rolleyes:

15. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

I wonder if we worked at the same school. Because once mine became an academy in 2009, everything you described happened. I managed to hang on there for about three years but of course, it was nothing to write home during the four years I was there before it became an academy. That last year, I met some truly horrendous people and people were just coming out of the woodwork and becoming SLT.

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  16. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

You know, I sometimes wonder if this chap's name is Gary in real life.

Piscean1 likes this.
  17. meggyd

meggyd Star commenter

How many accounts on Tes can you have with one email address?

18. teapot24

teapot24 Occasional commenter

Also are you allowed to "like" your own comments because otherwise how on earth he managed to get 5 likes I'll never know!

agathamorse, ilovesooty and ajrowing like this.
  19. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

My understanding is you can only have one Username for each email address (you can easily test it - try and open a new Username account with your current email address and tell us what happens!). But getting multiple email addresses is easy. I believe TES track ISP addresses to try to prevent that but it's fairly easy to circumvent. Posters using VPNs for example.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. meggyd

meggyd Star commenter

Why bother? Aren't there more interesting things to do?

ajrowing likes this.