1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools at Christmas: How do you cope through the festive season?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Rosaline, Dec 10, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Schools are usually hives of activity but there are added pressures for teachers and support staff in the run up to the Christmas holidays with decorations, plays to organise, and festive-themed activities and assemblies. Do you enjoy this time of year? What extra work do you have to do in school? How do you cope with balancing the demands of your workload and extra duties?

Share your favourite stories from working during the festive season and your tips for juggling everything you do.

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I started each lesson during December, up until lunch on the last day of term with the words "Books out".

3. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

"Oh but sir, it's our last lesson..."
    "Yes, and the key word there is lesson so you are going to be learning... Books out!"
    Sounds familiar.

nomad and racroesus like this.
  4. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

I do similar...even tests sometimes. I suspect that the students actually welcome a bit of routine amidst all the festive chaos. At least I don't hear that many complaining,
    Got a test lined up this year for last lesson of the last day of term.

5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I agree with that but I always liked to get my Chemistry set out to play.

6. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

We have been instructed, no videos, no quizzes, no games. Normal lessons to the 20th. Mocks have to be marked by 19th and reports written. Oh joy!

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I have a number of christmas "special" lessons that are Science but with an element of fun involved.

But I'll never show videos.

racroesus likes this.
  8. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

This is us, minus the reports.

9. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

And us.

10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Eh? None! It is substantially less work than any other time of year; roll out the tried and tested "Christmas Lesson" which over the years has evolved into one shameless and extended teacher sit down for a week, while the kids go bonkers with risible team names, non relevant bordering and gluing, and things that they believe to be prizes.
    Don't believe the objective on the board. It's a front.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

As an outside provider for schools I fulfilled my last booking of 2018 last week, and that was a special favour. Normally I won't consider working in schools during December, never mind the last few days up to Christmas. Too many distractions and interruptions going on for the sessions to work properly. My term finished last week :)

When I was doing proper teaching (secondary) and we were required, yes required, to screen a film on the last afternoon, I learned to choose obscure film titles to keep the numbers in my room down to single figures so I had a quiet life.

12. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

sbkrobinson - schools like yours are in a very slim minority these days. When I started teaching it was like this, quizzes for the last lesson (although I always ensured mine contained SOME learning.)

These days at least in Secondary even the last day is normal lessons. (Personally I think the last DAY and DAY only, not week and only Christmas and possibly July, never Easter could be something off piste but still educational in its own way, I used to do mathematical problems with Physics equations involving Santa with my KS4 to determine whether He is real!

I think the real rub at Christmas comes when you have colleagues full of festive spirit coming up against burned out, knackered stressed colleagues counting the days until they leave the building for the last time before Jan 7th.

13. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Shows, masses and extended lunches. Every minute less in the classroom wss a bonus.

14. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Meanwhile, spurs are losing to barcelona.

15. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

One all!

Sorry to highjack the thread.

16. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

Primary Y6. Normal lessons up until the end apart from one afternoon making Christmas cards which has to have a DT objective so we can tick that off the grid. No plays. No festive activities.

I think there is a Christmas assembly next week which the Head leads where she and only she is allowed to be festive. And the obligatory Xmas jumper day. That's it.

17. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

Bah, humbug!