1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

schools 'asking'/encouraging struggling pupils to leave early

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by chicat, Jun 2, 2011.

1. I alreayd posted this on the secondary forum but thought I would also post here.
    My young cousin told me that her school were 'encouraging' (although more like forcing) lower ability or struggling pupils to leave school and find work rather than sitting exams at the school. After doing not so well in their prelim exams they were told they would be better leaving school and getting a job or getting their highers in college. I started to look into it and spoke to some of her friends who it had happened to and it really shocked me that a school would do this. As I speak to more people I am hearing more and more accounts of this happening in other schools, particularly high-achieving schools.
    Has anyone ever seen this happening in schools they have worked in or had it happen to their children or friends' children?

2. I alreayd posted this on the secondary forum but thought I would also post here.
    My young cousin told me that her school were 'encouraging' (although more like forcing) lower ability or struggling pupils to leave school and find work rather than sitting exams at the school. After doing not so well in their prelim exams they were told they would be better leaving school and getting a job or getting their highers in college. I started to look into it and spoke to some of her friends who it had happened to and it really shocked me that a school would do this. As I speak to more people I am hearing more and more accounts of this happening in other schools, particularly high-achieving schools.
    Has anyone ever seen this happening in schools they have worked in or had it happen to their children or friends' children?

3. Is there a point to staying at school just so that you can fail a few exams? Obviously if it's just the case of a few marks here and there, kids should be encouraged to work hard and aim to pass but I can think of many a child who has failed a prelim badly and would be far better getting a head start on the world of work than marking time until summer.

4. These kids hadn't even failed, they just weren't getting As or Bs.
    I have spoken to a couple of my friends about this now and it turns out that one of them was put in this position while she was at school. She had some problems and struggled in class, her teachers tried to talk her into leaving or going to college to do her exams, she refused, passed them on and went on to get her degree. She was more than capable but if she had listened to the teachers she may have left with nothing.
    I think that doing this would benefit the school (and their positioning in the league tables) much more than the pupils.

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

A lot of pupils stay on because they are well aware of how difficult it is to get work. If they stay on a school at least they are NOT NEET and they have something to get out of bed for in the morning.
    On a purely anecdotal note, I was delighted to speak to one of the young lads in my street the other day . . . . . last year when I spoke with him he was only going to school to wind up the teachers (filled with angst and rebellion) and create havoc (he told me this, he knows I am a teacher (I used to teach him, years ago, and he was a nightmare, his whole class were off the rails) . . . . . .anyway he plucked up the courage to leave school and has got his first job . . . . . .it's not mega bucks, but if he keeps his head down and stays out of trouble, he can work his way up (he likes working [​IMG]) . . . . . . . his friend (another ex-pupil) on the other hand, has stayed on at school because he wants to go to Uni/college, but keeps getting excluded for bad behaviour . . . . . . . my bet is that in 10 years time, school leaver boy will be earning more, or the same, money than potential graduate boy.
    I am happy for both of them tbh, as this is the kind of scheme where boys generally choose tween army or dole. Generally, dole wins.

6. I know of pupils being sent to college courses or work placements before sitting their exams due to their behaviour/attitude at school.

And it is an excellent idea. If pupils are wasting their time at school then they ought to go out and work.

No doubt they will be these adults in a few years bleating on about 'my shool failed me' and 'teachers let me down' *sigh*

7. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Never seen kids being asked to leave because they were below a B.