1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools and face coverings.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by border_walker, Sep 19, 2020.

1. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

I noticed that local schools now have advice suggesting that all staff and secondary students wear face covering. Is this just local or national? I don't understand why they haven't been doing this from the start.

“Having reviewed the current regional and local situation and taking account of the most recent Public Health data, we are writing to strongly advise that with effect from Monday 14 September, all staff in primary schools and all staff and pupils in secondary schools should wear face coverings at all times except when in the classroom or when eating and drinking.We would like to stress that this is a precautionary measure but one we feel is essential to adopt at this time”.

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Professor (of infectious diseases) in Singapore on R5Live this am said the most significant thing there which has reduced infections has been since mid-April a no excuses policy on wearing face masks outside one's house. And given the weather there, I imagine that's pretty uncomfortable.

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Ignorance and stupidity.

No other reasons possible.

Oh, and they should be worn in the classroom too. Utterly pointless not to do this.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  4. Sally006

Sally006 Star commenter

Just recovering from flu. It might not be Covid but it knocked me for 6 and shoes that if the virus is in your classroom, hand sanitiser is no protection as it’s is what you breathe in that counts here.

if schools are to carry on in this on going situation then masks worn by all in the classroom needs to become the norm. It won’t. It makes people feel uncomfortable, kids can’t see your expressions etc. All those excuses will be used about it. Result: pupils and staff will get sick and bubbles and schools will close. Disruption will continue.

5. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

It's to avoid offending sensibilities. Weighed against the discomfort of ventilator and death, a mask seems a reasonable thing. Sadly, Reason walks alone far away from this land of fools. She will not return in our lifetime.

6. border_walker

Having worn one since this started it surprises me how few do other than on entering a shop, often removing it before they are even out of the door. it is really not that much of a discomfort. Also agree that they should be worn in classrooms. I was reading an article recently on H&S in a different context, agreed with the author that the greatest contribution to staying safe is common sense. sadly too often lacking.

7. Sally006

Sally006 Star commenter

“Covid secure” as an expression is really starting to annoy me. Is your school cold and flu secure? If it isn’t then it is not Covid secure either. I can’t stand the pathetic lying that is going on.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Me too. It is generally given as an assurance and in a way that it is beyond question, usually what it means is "we are following the current guidelines (ish)".

Earlier in the pandemic "covid secure" didn't require the wearing of a mask, so it obviously wasn't secure at all. "Covid mitigated" would be a more accurate description

9. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

visors are another option for secondary students. Not as good, but better than nothing.

10. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

Even using masks and gel doesn't make you secure if you're one of 30+ people to a room 6 hours per day, every day of the week.

Viral load is why a disproportionate number of nhs staff succumbed first time round. It will affect all of those in schools, as well.

11. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

Our school offered visors to staff. We couldn't read through them.

Nanny Ogg likes this.
  12. siege

siege New commenter

I can't read when I wear a mask - glasses steam up

josiee99, agathamorse and Sally006 like this.
  13. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

I hear lots of people saying this, but mine never do. Something to do with the way the mask fits over your nose I think.

tall tales, nervousned and Jamvic like this.
  14. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Glad you’ve posted this. I thought it was just me. My glasses don’t ‘steam up’ when I wear a mask but my OH’s do.

15. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Where is that quote from please? I’ve been asking about masks from the start but my primary school won’t entertain the idea. Ten people in a small staff room for a briefing on Thursday. Hey ho, they were sitting on alternate chairs so that’s alright then.

16. Corvuscorax20

Its not easy. The first few days I was wondering round with the protective cellophane still on... but now I am so used to it, I frequently forget I am wearing it and try and drink my tea through it.

17. Corvuscorax20

My glasses steam up if the mask is overlapping over the frames, not if it is tucked under my frames.

Sally006 and colacao17 like this.
  18. border_walker

Deborah Myers, Head of Children and Young People, Education and Schools (East Riding of Yorkshire Council) and Andy Kingdom, Head of Public Health (Statutory Director of Public Health).

19. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I am in Spain. Wearing masks for everyone at all times is the law. 500 euro fine for not wearing a mask. All of my students wear a mask in class. Not ideal but everyone has got used to it. It is ludicrous and dangerous to ask teachers to share small badly ventilated rooms with people from 30 different households for hours on end.

20. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Has it helped much?