1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools aid international crime!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Dec 3, 2018.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/exclusive-police-urge-private-schools-run-google-checks-suspect-parents

I blame teachers. We send out illiterate and innumerate workers for industry, we don't discipline children so their parent's can control them, we don't give the students enough homework to keep them out of their parent's hair, we expect parent's to take holidays in the more expensive season of school vacations and then on top of that we ourselves have all those holidays and such a short working day!

We expect to be funded properly and to have a decent pay, when, at the same time, objecting to babysitting the students for the benefit of working families. (It is probably our fault, anyway, that the economy is in such a mess that both parents are forced to work.) My God, is there no end to our feelings of entitlement? And then this! We are aiding international crime! Shame on us --- SHAME!

And in any case, it is high time that we as teachers started spying on our student's families. We are in the perfect place to do so. One incautious word from a naive child and we have them!

Schools-- the scourge of society!

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I think you might have the wrong end of the stick.

3. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

The article refers only to independent schools and is primarily concerned with money-laundering. You can take the outrage down a few notches.

4. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Independent schools today --- all of us tomorrow!

5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

"outrage" ---- OUTRAGE!? ---- OUTRAGE!!

Oh dear Phot. I think somebody else has commented on your humour loss today.

6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Like politicans never profit from dirty money.

monicabilongame likes this.
  7. Photo51

Do you have any examples of UK politicians involved in money laundering or receiving money via such a process?

8. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Is taking a bung the same level of wrong doing as laundering money? Plenty of examples there.

9. Photo51

A different subject but, no, not according to the possible prison sentences.

10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

What about expenses fiddling then?

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

A family at my first school in London (Primary) wanted their daughter to go to an Independent School for secondary. They were turned down as the couldn't verify where their income came from. The mother was most put out and claimed that they were the victims of some kind of discrimination. The father was unemployed but had served several jail sentences, for credit card fraud mainly,

12. Photo51

That's a lot of scope creep from money laundering via school fees.

13. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I remember that in the mid-nineties a Russian girl turned up for her first term at an expensive girls' school with the first term's fees in a suitcase. In notes.

14. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I just want to say that I hope that people realise I was being uber ironic in my opening post. I really don't know what to make of schools of any ilk being asked in any way to report on their parents. I certainly think that we need to do as much as we can to protect ourselves and our economy from international crime, but I'm sure there are many more things we should be doing before we even think of asking schools and other public service institutions to spy on the public let alone actually voice it.

But it brought to mind all the other times, education and teachers have been held responsible for this, that and the other, in society and work, over which we as teachers really have no control. It seemed so far out there that schools were being recruited by Interpol to bust the mafia or the Russian oligarchy. You would not even to have been able to make it up twenty years ago. Where the Hell are we going with our society?

15. Photo51

Do you object to money laundering laws? Why should huge school fees not be subject to the same scrutiny as other large financial transactions. It doesn't even involve teachers. School fees are not collected like dinner money.